Rattling noise in Sherco 290

Weasel

Hey all, 

I realize this is pretty generic and it could be a host of items but having an issue with my 2014 Xride (290 trials motor).  I was having issues with the clutch sticking or not engaging, it had sat for a few months checked the reservoir and it was all the way to the bottom low.  So filled it up and bleed it for quite awhile with no luck.  Usually it breaks loose after a bit and seems to work.  So decided to take off the slave cover, cracked the upper bolt just a titch and buddy heard something click, and the clutch works.  Great, throw it on a trailer and off we go to ride.  Clutch seems to be working better then it has in months. 

Rode about 30 mins and 1/2 mile and waiting for a buddy to shoot up a little hill, bike is in neutral and idling and it starts clattering pretty loudly.  I thought maybe a rock got under the skid and shut it off and couldn't see anything externally.  Start back up and it's rattling away.  Put it in gear and still making noise, tap on everything to see if anything is loose or sticking and nothing.  Horrible racket.  It's louder when in neutral, put it in gear and let the clutch out it gets quieter but still pretty loud.  Rode it back to the trailer and it shifts fine, revs fine, ride fine just clacking and rattling away.  Got back the shop and another buddy is adamant that the bottom end is gone. So pop the cylinder off and everything feels normal, nothing crazy loose.  

Check the flywheel nut and it looked tight and in place.  Nothing odd under the clutch plate either but did not take the clutches out.

Coolant was a bit low but unsure how that would factor in at all.  

Seems odd to have the clutch issues, then fixed, then the noise but I can't quite connect it all.    

Getting some gaskets to put the head back on and taking to the local shop but would like to hear anyone's thoughts on what might have came loose? 

I have read on other noises but most get better when pulling the clutch in.

Has to be clutch it's the only element that you have touched/tweeked then the noise has started.

have you sheared a bit of plate off, clutch nut loose, clutch basket lugs detached!

Take the clutch off and have a look. If the tops off, the clutch is even less bother to do, why wouldn't you?

• 2 weeks later...

Clutch side all looks good, nothing is loose or overly worn.

So when rotating the piston it's mostly really smooth and free except and the top of the stroke.  It sticks pretty good, almost feels like a magnet holding it in place.  It will push through but definitely not as smoot as the rest of the cycle.

• 3 weeks later...

well seem to have found the issue after opening both halves of the case.  

Washer of the kickstarter is in half, found about 1/4 of the pieces. There are 3 spots on the main drive gear that are chipped/rolled along with 1 tooth on the clutch basket.  Sticky spot at the top of the stroke is gone, all bearing feel smooth with no play.  

We dug around in the clutch side for quite awhile and that's all the bits we could find.  Not seeing anything on the transmission side. 

Question now is is the washer thickness sized specifically?  I know it's 1mm but wondering if a slightly thicker one would be okay.   Anyone seen this happen before?

PXL_20201225_025712688_3.jpg

PXL_20201225_025915146.jpg

PXL_20201225_030901849_2.jpg

PXL_20201225_030930922_2.jpg

Well not quite the whole issue. Spend a it more time on it this morning.  Kick starter gear and rachet gear are jacked up.  Looks like the tab on the case that stop the rachet gear broke and allowed it to ride up and get jammed in the engaged position.

Anyone know if the case is machined here or did the tab brake off?

PXL_20201225_192029490.jpg

PXL_20201225_191808171.jpg

PXL_20201225_183207605.jpg

PXL_20201225_183151061.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

test fit a bolt in place and should work just fine

ACtC-3dy9FFmIfUSw_SxMHeaPszCebIbaEg-Xxay

ACtC-3eOONRJ3yDf5MpTi9j0hwgiAVP5mcTCwvlJ

ACtC-3d3fYZRvV-w07XuqvZmwJVaH97chbGxcww1

If anyone else runs into this issue.  Not to bad and I feel the bolt has plenty of support and should be a good stop for the gear.  Thread locked in place and should be good to go.