Majesty 200

austini

Hi everyone, I have the opportunity to purchase a very original full size Godden chrome framed Majesty in Australia I have been waiting a long time to get a Majesty 250 or 320 but the chances of finding one of those in Aus is nil so a good clean 200 might be my only choice.

I have had many TY's in the past and find both the 250 and 175's have their virtues and their faults, although i'm 100kgs I can ride both competitively and we don't ride many hill climbs here in Aus so the little 175 is not to underpowered.

Questions for the brains trust: was the 200 just a bored out 175 or did Shirty do any porting and jetting etc:? Is there any real changes in power between a standard TY175 and a 200?  I believe the swinging arm was made slightly longer on the Majesty similar to current Ty175 recommendations is this so or with the other majesty frame configurations does it handle a lot better that a TY175? I know the 250 Majesty is a leap forward from an original 250 is this the case for a 200? 

Thanks for any assistance you may have.

• 3 weeks later...

David Lahey aka feetupfun has a 200 in NQ so he should be able to answer your questions 

A friend has a 175 Majesty & after hoping on my modified 250c did some major mods to his, main changes he made were moved the swingarm pivot in front of the downtubes the same as the 250 & lengthened the swingarm, widened the footpeg mounts to get the same width as on a 250 which helps with balancing - amount was different side to side as the 175 has the motor offset to the right for chain clearance 

He hasn't gotten to try the changes out yet due to having to rebuild a very noisy motor but I'm sure he'll want to do some back to back tests with my 250 once it's run in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tony27 said:

David Lahey aka feetupfun has a 200 in NQ so he should be able to answer your questions 

A friend has a 175 Majesty & after hoping on my modified 250c did some major mods to his, main changes he made were moved the swingarm pivot in front of the downtubes the same as the 250 & lengthened the swingarm, widened the footpeg mounts to get the same width as on a 250 which helps with balancing - amount was different side to side as the 175 has the motor offset to the right for chain clearance 

He hasn't gotten to try the changes out yet due to having to rebuild a very noisy motor but I'm sure he'll want to do some back to back tests with my 250 once it's run in

Tony, austini and I have been collaborating already in private.

I would love to know more about the Godden Majesty TY175/200 but I've not ridden one. They are a vanishingly rare beast. I've ridden a Godden mini Majesty Ty175 owned by Paul McLeod in NZ and it was excellent but a quite different design to the bike austini has acquired.

I can say that the Majesty 200 motor as they were done back in the day had a bigger-sleeved TY175 cylinder using a TY250 twinshock piston with bushes in the piston to suit the smaller little end pin.

As for the power developed, my hot rod TY175 is 210cc and I had to calm the motor down considerably after it was first built in 2005 before I was happy with the motor. The cylinder and head was done in a way that would provide strong response everywhere by the expert race engine builder who did it. I reduced the compression ratio and fitted an ignition I could set up to smooth out the low RPM response to make it gentle enough for me to comfortably ride the tight stuff. After my refining of the response it has a strong bottom end and very strong mid range and a nice top end that I never need to use and overall it suits my weight, strength and reflexes perfectly. A younger high level rider would probably have preferred it exactly as it came from the engine builder. It has exactly the bottom end power you would expect from a 210cc motor as in midway between a 175 and a 250.

Highly-skilled trials riders who have had a go on it have preferred riding the hot-rod 210cc TY175 to riding one of my very nice TY250-based bikes. Some of these highly-skilled riders have commented that they would have liked the response to be sharper.

Edited by feetupfun
  • Like 1