Brits in Trial GP / Trial GP overall

NAD1

The top level is now so elitist it has gone beyond the reach of most bar a very select few. When you have riders like Dibs and Jack who are awesome riders and very capable yet fall miles short, week in week out, then what hope is there?  99.9% of the trials community cannot even relate to what these guys are doing, I've been riding for 40 years some of that at a national level and 25 years or so ago, even as an average national rider, the world round sections though obviously very tough wouldn't have raised any fear in me. I would have had a good go at most and though I would most likely fived the majority of sections, at least I would have had some idea and technique on how to tackle them.

I can still compete at national level even today, but I look at how the likes of Bou & co ride and I can honestly say I have no idea of how they do it, I just can't comprehend or relate to it. I really do think the current world championship is doomed to extinction unless something radical is done. I will and do support trials at all levels and will continue to do so and I'll be very sad to see the world championship come to an end if that does happen. 

I really don't know the answer, maybe there isn't one, or maybe things have to dramatically change (which would be difficult). I'm not a big fan of halting technological development but maybe that is what it will take. But as its already been mentioned, the biggest problem lies at the most elite / minority end of the sport, and not anywhere near as many problems at the grass roots where the vast majority of riders are at.  

• Like 3

Its impossible really to succeed unless a private sponsor is paying or you have wealthy parents. Practice isn't just the rider, its rider plus minder. Repair bills when things go wrong must be horrendous. 

So to practice like Bou, Raga etc you probably need to be able to fund a full time rider and a minder, two bikes a year minimum plus parts, a van etc. 

That level of spend needs to be maintained until the rider is picked up by a factory. I would think the majority of the factory budget probably goes on the top 5/6 riders? 

Then most of the money in the sport is going on pre 65 and twinshock bikes. So factories have much less to spend on a world championship,  in fact two world championships including x trial.

All this before you take into account that there is no agreement on which rules to apply

• Like 3

1 hour ago, baldilocks said:

Its impossible really to succeed unless a private sponsor is paying or you have wealthy parents. Practice isn't just the rider, its rider plus minder. Repair bills when things go wrong must be horrendous. 

So to practice like Bou, Raga etc you probably need to be able to fund a full time rider and a minder, two bikes a year minimum plus parts, a van etc. 

That level of spend needs to be maintained until the rider is picked up by a factory. I would think the majority of the factory budget probably goes on the top 5/6 riders? 

Then most of the money in the sport is going on pre 65 and twinshock bikes. So factories have much less to spend on a world championship,  in fact two world championships including x trial.

All this before you take into account that there is no agreement on which rules to apply

I find it disgusting that   these elite/top riders feel- the sport owes them a living ! when the sport is run by volunteers week in and week out 

Bit harsh most of the top riders are good guys and genuinely love the sport.

I lay all the blame on  lack of regulation which has allowed us to ride something that vaguely resembles a motorcycle.

As an example my father rode a Gold Star BSA roughly 400lbs with about 4 inches of clearance only allowed a 400x18 tyre still the same size today on what's basically a motorised pogo stick . It's crazy no wonder the sections have to be extreme.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, on it said:

I find it disgusting that   these elite/top riders feel- the sport owes them a living ! when the sport is run by volunteers week in and week out 

You can't blame the riders, and I don't understand why you believe all of them think the sport owes them a living? Maybe the odd few think that way, you get that in all sports, entertainment and such like... 

There are what I see as a few problems here in the UK:

• There is a major lack of support for young talented riders,
  • The majority of the general public in the UK dislike off road motor sport, especially motor bikes which they see as a dangerous nuisance.
  • Quality land availability for practicing off road motorcycle sports is few and far between, especially in the midlands and the south.
  • Trials as a sport is under the radar of the vast majority of people, it gets very little to no exposure rendering it a non viable prospect for large advertisers.
  • Unless you are an enthusiast, trials can be boring to watch  
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, baldilocks said:

The sections these guys are practising on currently, requires 2 minders most of the time! 

7 hours ago, Intotrials said:

• Trials as a sport is under the radar of the vast majority of people, it gets very little to no exposure rendering it a non viable prospect for large advertisers.
  • Unless you are an enthusiast, trials can be boring to watch  

The lack of X Trial in the UK is odd.  Why does it have a big fan base in the rest of Europe and not here?  Is it a lack of venues or costs?  I think most people would get bored watching me make a knob of myself but X Trial is designed to be proper entertainment.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Which riders think that?

Let me think well how about the ones that throw the towel in when they  dont get sponsorship !!!  these top /elite  riders  got what THEY wanted hard "circus" sections but still want harder ,+ needing minders and parts and that comes at a cost (to get there and be there )  well they now have priced them self out of a job  They want to be there but expect a sponsor to pay for them to be there that sort of rider Nigel !

Edited by on it
text
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/26/2020 at 3:18 PM, ChrisCH said:

The lack of X Trial in the UK is odd.  Why does it have a big fan base in the rest of Europe and not here?  Is it a lack of venues or costs?  I think most people would get bored watching me make a knob of myself but X Trial is designed to be proper entertainment.

I don't think there is a lack of venues, maybe just a lack of interest from them to host an unpopular sport. Cost will play a big part also, to run these events you need sponsorship backing, I would imagine trying to sell a trials event to a sponsor would be quite difficult. Ironically I was showing a few people at my works some footage of Bou doing his stuff and they just didn't get it, they didn't understand the point of it. I guess when most folk think of motorbike sport they instantly imagine racing. 

On 11/26/2020 at 3:32 PM, on it said:

Let me think well how about the ones that throw the towel in when they  dont get sponsorship !!!  these top /elite  riders  got what THEY wanted hard "circus" sections but still want harder ,+ needing minders and parts and that comes at a cost (to get there and be there )  well they now have priced them self out of a job  They want to be there but expect a sponsor to pay for them to be there that sort of rider Nigel !

I still think you are being a little harsh on the majority. Trials at world level has become elite and I would imagine quite costly to attend. If you are a young rider coming from a working class background I would imagine the costs far out way the rewards. Getting help from sponsors is a must, unless they are privileged enough to come from a wealthy background. Throwing the towel in in the knowledge that you are unlikely to break through into the "elite group" where the rewards I would imagine are much higher might be the only option if funding is limited.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Intotrials said:

.. Ironically I was showing a few people at my works some footage of Bou doing his stuff and they just didn't get it, they didn't understand the point of it. I guess when most folk think of motorbike sport they instantly imagine racing. 

No accounting for taste I suppose.  I used to go to the Le Mans 24 in my youth but the bikes go round and round and round and round.  I drank a lot of beer.  Never seen the point in track racing personally.

My trials bike is at work (in the dry) and a huge number of people that visit us make comment about it (and my wife's Ducati, ignoring my Suzuki).  I think people that like motorcycles probably would like X Trial.  My nephew and his mates were keen to go to the trial at Anglesey but it was cancelled.  He has graduated now and the other lads gone their separate ways.  One of his mates is a keen push biker and he was looking forward to seeing the trial.

The virus has changed everything now of course so I doubt we will see anything this side of the channel very soon.  Shame.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 3:32 PM, on it said:

I asked which, dont be shy name names?

My perspective is you dont know anything about trials at the elite level, even less the efforts, commitment and costs involved for young riders and their families. There is a big long list I could give of french Italian spanish, and British lads who have tried and (I imagine) like Jack Price question the long term requirements versus possible returns when they get near the elite class. I cant think of any of the hundreds ive watched ever going into the sport thinking I could get paid for this, perhaps you know different?

When did any elite rider ask for a "hard Circus"?

How have these top riders priced themselves out of " a job"?

Edited by nigel dabster
  • Like 2

You're right , can't really think of a worse career choice, doesn't Raga still do Trials schools? Don't think he's what we would call minted.

Bou will have made a bit and I wouldn't grudge him a penny even though he hasn't done the SSDT which is his loss.

6 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

I asked which, dont be shy name names?

My perspective is you dont know anything about trials at the elite level, even less the efforts, commitment and costs involved for young riders and their families. There is a big long list I could give of french Italian spanish, and British lads who have tried and (I imagine) like Jack Price question the long term requirements versus possible returns when they get near the elite class. I cant think of any of the hundreds ive watched ever going into the sport thinking I could get paid for this, perhaps you know different?

When did any elite rider ask for a "hard Circus"?

How have these top riders priced themselves out of " a job"?

NO nigel YOU TELL US  were the money is in trials ? as for your perspective of me what ever !  As for names how far back do you want to go ?    i have been doing trials  long enough to know  there is NO money in it !  , if it costs "X" amount to sponsor a rider   and that sponsor/business used the same "X" amount advertising on the internet  which will have the bigger audience trials rider or the  internet ? value for money. /,So tell   us Nigel when the rewards are  so low why are these riders allowed to/are  keep push  the sport to such a level that the costs out way the return AS cost and commitment  well thats any sport if you want to be good at it !"Hard circus sections" how do you think non trials riders see it ? when grass root riders can not even relate to the sections  !"Riders  priced themselves out of a job" well they can not afford to pay for it on there own but  they need to be in it to win it to get the sponsor  ! why do people think trials will become a mass spectator sport and that will  fix the cash problem ? some sports are just not popular to non participants and trials is one of them sports

sorry if people feel this is harsh but whats the point of looking through rose tinted glasses at  problems  As ive said in the past trials at grass routes is doing well !!! the part of trials that is struggle is the part were money /sponsorship is involved  !!!!!!!!!!!!! I never thought trials is /will or has been a professional sport

Edited by on it
add
  • Like 2