Brits in Trial GP / Trial GP overall

NAD1

On 12/1/2020 at 2:19 PM, ChrisCH said:

If Bou rode the six day and won it everyone would say it was him not the Montesa so hardly a good investment.  More likely that the importers would stump up a few quid to see a top name or two.

Alternatively, if Bou rode the ssdt and didn't win ..... 

Quite likely he would win but not every day as you know the dreaded early day is the killer.

As an aside see Lewis Hamiton's stand in posted the best qualifying time in practice, I wonder how far Honda would have to go to find a competent stand in for Bou?   

5 hours ago, nigel dabster said:
5 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

And please YOU TELL US which riders think it owes them a living?

well nigel whats the topic about ? riders leaving due  lack of sponsorship at wtc &btc what dose that need CASH !.Nice list of names you gave think you will find most of there pay came from factorys for development work . .As for events ive seen about 20-30 when  living in Europe & l since moving back to the UK 3-4 .As for names I will never ever name names out of respect for other people .As for riders WELL RIDERS WHO ARE DOING IT FOR A LIVING ! But I will bow down to your vast Knowledge powers of trials as  your the man Andrew !

Edited by on it
text

1 hour ago, ChrisCH said:

Could be good for the viewing figures? 

It would be fantastic for the ssdt,  and Bou. I very rarely watch his trick riding with the super enthusiastic " entourage " but would love to see him perform in a more authentic trial.

• Like 5

On 11/25/2020 at 8:21 PM, on it said:

I find it disgusting that   these elite/top riders feel- the sport owes them a living ! when the sport is run by volunteers week in and week out 

I repeat, cos i dont think its true, which riders " feel- the sport owes them a living" ?

• Like 1

Just now, on it said:

4 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

I repeat, cos i dont think its true, which riders " feel- the sport owes them a living" ?

Well What I think is  --- ALL Riders getting sponsorship and payed , but loose that ! they leave the sport,SO,obviously  its only the money keeping them there , it MUST there living as they can not afford to stay without it    

Thing is it's ok for me on my 14 year old Scorpa going to local Trials and a back tyre lasting a season. At the sharp end a bike  will be lucky to last 6 months you'll eat spares and tyres and travelling costs will be considerable. You would have to be more than enthusiastic to take that on the chin . No one could do it without some help and riders are just being realistic when they call it a day.. 

• Like 4

I can fully understand why riders stop competing at the very top level as at some point cost/ personal commitment outweighs results/ enjoyment.

The sad thing I see in recent times is that some  walk away from the sport altogether. ( this Is not aimed at the 2 recent retirees but an observation  over a the last few years)

Not sure if they just get stale., only want to do it if they are winning or never really enjoyed it but found they where good at it and was a good parent //child thing when on the up?

Having ridden for 40 plus years I could not imagine not having a bike and competing - I’ve had quiet years but never lost the bug and always has a bike in the garage to ride.

I appreciate that if not winning they are not enjoying or fear of not being the best.
In a much smaller scale I found it difficult as I got older to start getting beaten by younger riders or newcomers but learnt to accept it as enjoyment of riding was greater than that of being top of the results.

My first bike was a TL 125 that was a bit of a shed that I went halves with big bro and paid for with paper-rounds and birthday / Christmas money . We spent time tweaking and getting back to a rideable Mount.

just wondering in the modern world that this man(boy) and Machine bond is never made - or maybe I’m a bit sad and need a therapist ??

Edited by jimmyl
  • Like 2

I listened to Cabestany on the trials Australia podcast the other day who commented on the world scene from a top riders point of view. Trials outdoors is awkward really , conditions change and observers get influenced by the pressure of observing top riders. Cabestany made the point that a 2 second pause is a clean in one section but can be a five in the next. Very frustrating if its your living on the line.

He preferred indoors as sections didn't really change rider to rider and the same observer was on all sections. 

Then he mentioned the strict time tables of when you can look at sections when you can practice etc. He didn't make it seem like fun.

He maybe answered my question on why hard enduro appeals. Ride all day and no observers. Simple rules and not subjective, plus you get paid a lot more.

Trials needs to sort itself out, we've been going round the rules loop for years and are no further forward.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimmyl said:

just wondering in the modern world that this man(boy) and Machine bond is never made - or maybe I’m a bit sad and need a therapist ??

Strange I was thinking of getting rid of a bike or two last night but that was as far as it got, there's a massive connect every battle scar, every sticker, every mod the smell and the sound and the way they look and feel .There's no logic ,bikes  get a weird hold of some folk or maybe just me?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, baldilocks said:

Cabestany made the point that a 2 second pause is a clean in one section but can be a five in the next. Very frustrating if its your living on the line.

Trials needs to sort itself out, we've been going round the rules loop for years and are no further forward.

Irrespective of intentions, observers making up rules is the route of the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes it would be too expensive and the world championship isn't sustainable without that additional spend.

We have the same problems throughout the sport though. We require rules that reflect how people actually ride and are simple to apply. 

Before people post that non stop is simple to apply it clearly isn't with modern bikes and people setting out who don't know what a no stop section looks like. New rules need to appeal to young riders most of us riding now are 40/50/60.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jimmyl said:

I can fully understand why riders stop competing at the very top level as at some point cost/ personal commitment outweighs results/ enjoyment.

One of my customers was a keen rider.  His wife was in the British ladies team.  They called it a day as they could no longer afford the money but mostly the time.  The hassle was tearing their relationship apart as well.  She is off work at the minute and nipped over to us to pick up some goods for her husband and the bikes are sat in the warehouse.  You could see how much she missed riding and was showing my missus static balance and so on.  I think the "enjoyment" aspect tends to get overlooked as people become too preoccupied with the competition aspect.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1