Spares etc

Scubadog

Hi

So I'm shortly going to be competing in my first trials. I'm after some pointers for what spares and tools I should take? I understand there can never be an complete list but some ideas would be helpful I'm guessing a pair of leavers zip ties and tape for a start

Also do you carry any spares on the lap and if so in what

Thanks guys

Add a air filter to the list especially if there is water at the venue. I generally only carry a set of folding allen keys with me during the trial, you can generally get back to the start to replace any broken parts 

• Thanks 1

During a trial I carry some zip ties, a roll of tape, spanner to adjust chain tension (I'm fussy about keeping that just right) and an allen key for lever clamps (I keep mine slightly slack so the lever rotates around the bar instead of snapping off if I drop the bike).

The above is probably a throwback to riding long lap trials in the old days when some maintenance/repair work during the event was pretty common. As far as I can see, almost all riders nowadays carry nothing at all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spare split link, usually put it over my tank breather hose. And then if i ever need it i hope someone nearby has a pair of pliers lol. Either way, its easier to scrounge a pair of pliers than find someone with a split link

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Matt185 said:

This information is really useful to riders new to trials such as myself.Presumably any tools and spares that are carried to in a well padded bum bag ?.

Does anyone carry a spare clutch lever or is that a bit OTT ?

Many riders that carry rucksacks/bum bags, leave them at the end of the section, at least on the first lap.

Nothing wrong with carrying a clutch lever, particularly on longer laps. In a trial like the pre65 many carry a front tube (it can be used in either wheel, if tube type) plus plastic pump. Levers ect can be zip tied to the bike to keep the  weight on the bike.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Matt185 said:

This information is really useful to riders new to trials such as myself.Presumably any tools and spares that are carried to in a well padded bum bag ?.

Does anyone carry a spare clutch lever or is that a bit OTT ?

Modern levers all seem to break in the same place, leaving a just-right amount for 1-finger operation.

really depens on the event and/the bike

if the event is in the same field you park in then why carry anything, if its a road trial with a 100+ mile lap you really want to think this out!

if the bike is unreliable or just old then yes, but modern bike are (normally) very good

for modern short course events i've a little box in my van of usual stuff (as above, tube, levers, spark plug, lanyard, etc) but for long events you want to think where you can carry items (on you or the bike)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rabie said:

really depens on the event and/the bike

if the event is in the same field you park in then why carry anything, if its a road trial with a 100+ mile lap you really want to think this out!

if the bike is unreliable or just old then yes, but modern bike are (normally) very good

for modern short course events i've a little box in my van of usual stuff (as above, tube, levers, spark plug, lanyard, etc) but for long events you want to think where you can carry items (on you or the bike)

Totally agree - most often is a stroll back round here. Longer trials (if you’re on a modern bike) I would take a small backpack with everything mentioned above. And the big one for me is if it’s a trial with a shedload of muddy in between section going then well worth putting some spacers to raise your front mudguard.

Nb. If you’re riding a 4RT you might need less spares ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

prep your bike well for each ride and enjoy your riding, I’ve never met another biker that will not help a fellow rider, no matter what type of bike country or language you speak. I’ve noticed I’m late to this post so I presume  you have completed your first ride.?

• Thanks 1

Hi Tayfix

I've had a couple of practice days out on it all ok with the bike, I need some work!!

Unfortunately tiers / covid has stopped me entering the two trials I wanted to go to but hopefully next year. I've taken the time to strip, clean and rebuild the bike. Just the forks left to do. 

Thanks for your input 

Happy Christmas 

20201214_124943.jpg

• Thanks 1