Road registration

chasbo

I'm looking at a 240 this weekend as my lad fancies a go at twinshocks for a change. Just wondered how difficult it is to get a registration number on it. Not sure at the minute when it was imported, but I think its fairly recent.

Is it the nightmare that some people make it out to be? There's no desperate rush as he's 15, so it'll be a few years until he can do any road trials on it.

Make sure the vin number is clear or no chance to register it and it's going to cost around £200 - £250. The problem with Fantics is getting a dating letter as they are no longer in business and the DVLA only accept dating letters from the manufacturer, importer or owners club. None exist now that are on the DVLA approved list. Your have to use someone like the VMCC, (Vintage Motor Cycle Club) who can charge £120 or more for a dating letter with a vehicle inspection. MOT on the vin plate @ £30. NOVA from HMRC in Belfast to show import duty & VAT paid, Normally free for a bike that age. Completed V55/5 downloaded from the DLVA, £55 first registration fee, plus 12 months road tax @ £44, If the bike is over 40 years old it can be registered as an ‘Historic Vehicle’ and the tax will be free for ever and no future MOT’s will be required. If they accept it's then a registration plate & insurance unless your in NI and insurance will be needed before registration on the vin number. You could also just SORN it. DVLA are taking 4- 5 weeks for applications at the moment.  I do think that having the bike registered will make it easier to insure and will add a bit of value to the bike.

https://www.vmcc.net/Library-and-DVLA-Forms

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/register-a-used-vehicle-for-the-first-time-v555

Edited by gasserguy

15 minutes ago, gasserguy said:

Make sure the vin number is clear or no chance to register it.  The problem with Fantics is getting a dating letter as they are no longer in business and the DVLA only accept dating letters from the manufacturer, importer or owners club. None exist now that are on the DVLA approved list. Your have to use someone like the VMCC, (Vintage Motor Cycle Club) who can charge £100 or more for a dating letter. MOT on the vin plate @ £30. NOVA from HMRC in Belfast to show import duty & VAT paid, Normally free for a bike that age. Completed V55/5 downloaded from the DLVA, £55 first registration fee, plus 12 months road tax @ £44, If the bike is over 40 years old it can be registered as an ‘Historic Vehicle’ and the tax will be free for ever and no future MOT’s will be required. If they accept it's then a registration plate & insurance unless your in NI and insurance will be needed before registration on the vin number. You could also just SORN it. DVLA are taking 4- 5 weeks for applications at the moment.

https://www.vmcc.net/Library-and-DVLA-Forms

Excellent.  Thanks for that.?

Trou

3 hours ago, fantnick said:

Try this guy. 

TLSmith.jpg

Trouble is he's not on the current DVLA approved list so your be wasting your money as the DVLA won't accept it....... https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/928848/V765X1_150920.pdf

Edited by gasserguy

Thanks for the advice everyone. We picked it up yesterday and are currently going through it. 

The frame has been recently powdercoated, but the numbers were taped over and easily uncovered. So they look really clear to me.

Keep your fingers  crossed for me!

7 hours ago, Cheneycol said:

I did mine earlier in the year.  Needed a NOVA, ended up speaking to very helpful guy on the phone and sorted it there & then,  then VMCC to date it, daytime MOT and all sorted.  Got it registered as 1980. 

Good to hear. Is it best to speak to the dvla before I do anything?