125 Advice

faberracer

All the bikes are good, and have certain minor pluses and minuses in ownership.  I've owned standard Gas Gas and Scorpa 125's. I presently ride a 2018 Scorpa 125 Factory. I've ridden Beta Evo125 and TRS 125RR.  You don't say if you're a youth or adult rider?  I'm an adult on a 125. I prefer it for ease of starting and lighter feeling. It does take more commitment and precise technique, especially in wet conditions doing larger obstacles and big hills.

Pretty simply stated, the Sherco/Scorpa 125 is the engine of the class powerwise. TRS felt like everyone thinks a 125 feels. TRS125RR engine is getting a revision for 2021 though, so might have improved power.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am an adult and we have a 07 Gas Gas 125 my wife started on and is now used by my daughter... As such I checked out a couple 125's for comparison and the only negative I found on any was the gearbox/shifting on the Gas Gas 125.  There compact gearbox is light but shifting from 4th to 5th and back down is harsh.  Other than that all the others I have tried are great.  (FYI: I haven't been on a TRS 125 or Vertigo 125)  

• Like 2

Nhuskys comments on ease of starting, feeling of lightness (less flywheel effect) and the importance of, and thus the improvement gained, in riding technique are spot on. I have a 2018 TRS RR 125 and have added Boyesen carbontech reeds and very happy with my TRS. Currently a slight issue with selector spring mechanism for 1st & neutral but the 2019 and above 125s have the new style gear selector mechanism enjoyed by the change in 2018 for the 250 and above bikes.

• Like 3

On 12/3/2020 at 1:44 PM, nhuskys said:

Pretty simply stated, the Sherco/Scorpa 125 is the engine of the class powerwise.

I'd qualify that statement by defining what "powerwise" means. The Beta has always had the best bottom end of the 125s and to me feels most like a bigger engine, but with lower power everywhere. Other brands, notably Gas Gas in the past, have chased more mid and top end power, at the expense of bottom end. See what the bikes are doing in the 125 GP class and you'll understand this. More recently, I'd say all of the brands have smoothed out the power curve of their 125's to give more balance to the bottom, mid & top end. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, neils on wheels said:

I'd qualify that statement by defining what "powerwise" means. The Beta has always had the best bottom end of the 125s and to me feels most like a bigger engine, but with lower power everywhere. Other brands, notably Gas Gas in the past, have chased more mid and top end power, at the expense of bottom end. See what the bikes are doing in the 125 GP class and you'll understand this. More recently, I'd say all of the brands have smoothed out the power curve of their 125's to give more balance to the bottom, mid & top end. 

It's not definitive, just my experience.... I've ridden newer Beta Evo 125's and Sherco/Scorpa 125 has more everywhere... bottom. middle,  and top. I rider I know who had a Beta Evo 125, and now he rides a 200 and a 300SS. He got a ride on a newer Sherco 125, and he was impressed.  

• Like 2