Help identifying 2 Sherpa trials

Fortuna

Dear Sirs,

Some help identifying these machines would be appreciated. I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of it by the frames. The frame number of the red one points to a standard 60’s 250, but when I look at photographs of the bikes around the same year, the frame looks different. The blue one has no frame number that I can find, but looks to be nickel plated.

774392C1-3F68-4079-A71E-6C7DD76A67C8.jpeg

03A8B9BF-A8C2-4C1A-A29C-EDAB83C0A3DA.jpeg

F403AFFC-4E77-46BF-A189-120A4B2AF239.jpeg

0AF4FEB2-1F1B-4C53-8896-5A21730FCD14.jpeg

Both frames look like model M80 Sherpa from 71/72. (but could also be Alpina frames)

Red one has a front wheel from an earlier model or something else, hard to see.

Blue one has forks and front wheel from the next model,  M91

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ya there , look  early 70 ish   Croam frame , what lucky find there was another Sherpa croam year back , he found numbers left side top under gas tank , I not bul expert , have noticed few croam , ?  Frames ,bultaco  , another mf  other than, , from Sammy m.  Floating around , , it’s a nice barn fine ,    Larry Seattle ,,, cheers  ps ,, there’s prob 1000+.  bultaco people  excluding me would like to own a croam bultaco , the cat out of the bag ,  three  custom bike MF ,  Sammy Miller , mick Whitlock , Steve Wilson ,, I found on line ,,, have good Christmas

Edited by larry s. k.

• 1 month later...

Thanks all.

I can’t really claim them as a find, they’ve been in my garage for many years.

Looking to sell them on to create some room, I haven’t got around to it yet due to the lack of knowledge/info on them.

I’ve put the hours in in google but still none the wiser. I’ll have a look for numbers under the tank on the blue one, thanks.

Hiw would I identify the Alpina frame against a regular frame?

You need the engine and frame numbers to identify which model exactly. The frame number is on the headstock not under the tank. The engine number is on the r/h crankcase under the exhaust. Early model Alpina had the same frame as a Sherpa which is why you need numbers to identify

From the pictures they both look like 1971 Sherpas which was a model 80   ie: the frame and engine number would be  B-80######  M-80######

Thanks Woody,

I remember that the red one has a number on the stock, I vaguely remember managing to work it out on a Bultaco enthusiasts page where the numbers are listed. The issue was that when I looked up photos of the year and model listed, the looked slightly different. I thought perhaps it had undergone some sort of conversion by kit or what have you. 
As for the blue one, there are no numbers on the stock. I will have a look for some engine numbers. I was trying to identify it by the nickel frame, and it has the same light weight look tank/seat as the red one. Do you know if this is factory or is it a Miller kit or similar?

As someone pointed out, the front end is slightly different on the blue one too. I don’t know if it’s just slightly newer or it’s a special model or something.

Could you tell me what exactly the Alpina model is? Was it a separate company that modified from the factory or was it an in-house works model or?

Red one (both) will look different from how it was when new as it has been repainted, probably more than once. Catalogue pictures will show you how it left the factory. The numbers are the way to accurately identify it. It's 1971 era frame but it has the wrong front wheel, maybe one from an earlier model, I can't tell from the picture.

If the blue one has no number on the headstock it's either been removed or it was a replacement frame from the factory as a replacement would be unlikely to have a number stamped. Maybe the number got polished out in the preparation stages of plating. This is also a 1971 era frame, it is Bultaco not Miller. As I mentioned in a previous comment the forks and front wheel are from a 1972 model

It would help if you put the numbers that you have on here if you're not sure how to check them. otherwise you're going to go around in circles

The Alpina was the trail bike version of the Sherpa. Early models of both looked virtually identical apart from the Alpina having a similar but larger tank

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Woody,
On the blue one I have found an engine number M-80011**
I think that points to a Sherpa T250 (4T Model 1A) if I’m correct? 1971

The frame number on the red one is 80011**(different end digits to blue engine) which points to the same model 1971? This one is also road registered, checked the number plate and is registered 1971

Edited by Fortuna

14 hours ago, Fortuna said:

Thanks Woody,
On the blue one I have found an engine number M-80011**
I think that points to a Sherpa T250 (4T Model 1A) if I’m correct? 1971

The frame number on the red one is 80011**(different end digits to blue engine) which points to the same model 1971? This one is also road registered, checked the number plate and is registered 1971

Yes, I would have said M80 Sherpa T 250, they were manufactured from Sept 1971 to March 1972.

Lovely bikes, plenty of spare parts available to do a full restoration.

Thanks Model80,

I know, surprised to find that near enough every bolt is available. This won’t be a project for me though unfortunately, I have a couple of projects on the go and these are going to make some much needed room. 
Do you or anyone else have an idea of value? 

7 hours ago, Fortuna said:

Thanks Model80,

I know, surprised to find that near enough every bolt is available. This won’t be a project for me though unfortunately, I have a couple of projects on the go and these are going to make some much needed room. 
Do you or anyone else have an idea of value? 

Bought a M 80 about 4 years ago in similar condition for €500 here in Ireland.