Montesa 123! any advice? :)

johnnyjazz

17 hours ago, feetupfun said:

Those old photos are fantastic fourex. It's exactly how I remember trials from the time and one of the locations looks quite familiar.

That kid in the last photo sitting backwards talking to you looks familiar.

Also no wonder so many old bikes have broken stand mounts. Look at you two sitting on the bikes on their stands. One friend of mine was a bit small for his TY250 in 1974 and had to have it on the stand to be able to start it. Luckily for him the stand was on the left on the A model.

Your TY175B looks a lot like mine did, even where the top shockie mount was moved to and the black fork boots. Were they konis too?

Good times indeed David, those Montesa pics are from Biddaddaba late March or early April 1974, you might be amongst that group at riders briefing?

The bloke sitting backwards on the Sherpa is Rod Maclean, I think that was a Logan River Trial possibly at Mt Cotton ?

Can't remember what shocks I had on the TY, but I do remember the laid down mod was done at the Motorcycle/Mower shop on Logan Rd Mt Gravatt by their mechanic who I believe was Steve Hope but I didn't know that at the time. He did a good job by also welding in gussets to prevent the rear downtubes from bending, thanks Steve.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fourex said:

Good times indeed David, those Montesa pics are from Biddaddaba late March or early April 1974, you might be amongst that group at riders briefing?

The bloke sitting backwards on the Sherpa is Rod Maclean, I think that was a Logan River Trial possibly at Mt Cotton ?

Can't remember what shocks I had on the TY, but I do remember the laid down mod was done at the Motorcycle/Mower shop on Logan Rd Mt Gravatt by their mechanic who I believe was Steve Hope but I didn't know that at the time. He did a good job by also welding in gussets to prevent the rear downtubes from bending, thanks Steve.

Small world. I might have been spectating that day at Biddaddaba. I know I took photos at a trial there in 1974 when I went to watch a friend Mark Stephens competing on his RL250 and still have the photos. My friend Mark was pretty good (B grade). I do remember Rod McLean. I seem to remember him doing a few mods on Bultacos. I don't remember you from back then though. I started riding trials in 1975 at age 16 and rode most of the NDMTC events and some LRMTC events at Blunts Quarry and one at Darlington Park and at the Qld or Aussie titles at Christmas Creek where I came 153rd or something like that in C grade . I spectated at a couple of TCQ trials in 1974 at Biddaddaba and Tivoli. Was a bit weird being in NDMTC because the local trials riders where I lived at Bulimba were all TCQ but I joined NDMTC because of my schoolmate with the RL250. I didn't even get a proper trials bike until 1976 (a beaten-up TY175B) having ridden the 1975 trials on my TS185K then my Bultaco model 99 Alpina. That beaten-up TY175B is now my hot rod 210cc TY.

I'll pull out those Biddaddaba photos

• Like 1

Ya ,, it’s a collectors piece , 123,,,  my Honda’s,,  Yamhaa ,,always treated me wright  , for a all day rider , and my Bultaco’s , just shake. So welll  my nees are peg agains’t   gas tank , love to ride  ,   PS  you can find a pro and get a ,,,,buyers inspection ,,, , dealers ,,independent , I  have done a few ,  there out there ,,,cheers  

Edited by larry s. k.
Add
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Those Cota 123's are fantastic for riding cow and game trails in the Rocky Mountains. You want not huge power, but something that you can sprocket for slow but steady climbs, and light enough to boost over obstacles (weigh 155 pounds full of gas).  Rode many trails back in the 70'-90's in areas now off limits, going to high mountain lakes. We would pack in with sleeping bag, skillet, bit of food for overnight rides, a 12 pack of beer for day rides.

The kick start is weak, always parked where could start with a downhill push.

I would like to have a 20x2.75 inch front tire, has not been available for decades.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...