290 smells like it on fire

Backerlee

6 hours ago, Backerlee said:

Another update, bike starts and rides lovely however after a short test ride, I came to a stop and when I put it in neutral there was an audible hiss and now it's p****** oil out of the crank breather. Any ideas any

Is there a breather on the crankcase ? Gearbox breather ? 

It may be the right hand main bearing seal is failing and pressurising the clutch basket side of the caseings, the hole that feeds the breather pipe is behind the top of the clutch basket. I had a sherco 125 chucking out oil from the breather it wasn't hissing though, that sounds like a complete seal failure. It may not be thow as I was always under the impression that the seals were to stop the crank sucking oil in and not the other way around. 

Did you fall off the bike and the bike end up landing on its right hand side for a while, as the gearbox oil could pool in the clutch side then get sucked in the breather hole as you stand the bike back up straight and carry on riding. there is a small cavatiy behind whare the breather attaches to the caseings if that has filled up with gearbox oil it might spray oil out for abit until its cleared, I used a vacume pump to clear mine. 

• 2 weeks later...

Try running the breather to a small transparent catch tank of some sort, maybe a large fuel filter or something, se how quickly it fills up. Mount it higher than the breather outlet then the oil will run back in to the gear box if it fills up the filter in mins you definitely have a air leak if its just abit of spatter you probably have to much oil in your gearbox. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/11/2021 at 9:25 AM, Backerlee said:

I've definitely got a leak of some sort, I've been informed its probably the crank seal wet side which I understand is not an easy fix 

Did you get it sorted? If you changed the oil before your last ride and added more than 450 the excess may be pumping out the breather hole. Keep us posted on progress. Cheers.