Speedo Requirement on V5 reg. Bultaco Sherpa

I'm restoring a Bultaco Sherpa 198A which is already road registered with V5 now in my name and being over 40 years old eligible for historic status. However, to apply for historic status the bike has to be insured. When I enquired whether Bikesure my current bike insurance / broker company would add the Sherpa to my multi-bike policy, they said yes as long as the bike had a speedo fitted and asked for me to just send them photographic proof.

Seems a bit strange as I didn't think this was a requirement for an MoT etc. but just wondered if anyone else had this experience?  And as Bultaco speedo's and drives seem rare and expensive, if a simple wireless cycle speedo would do the trick?

Grateful for any guidance!

Jon

14 hours ago, Yamagodden said:

It's more likely   for mileage  as insurance are hot on it . The more you do the bigger the risk  and load you  for it

Maybe , but I've never had an insurer ask me to state what a bike's odometer says, and with no MOT data on a historic vehicle they wouldn't know unless I told them.

3 hours ago, cleanorbust said:

Maybe , but I've never had an insurer ask me to state what a bike's odometer says, and with no MOT data on a historic vehicle they wouldn't know unless I told them.

No, I've had classic insurance with a number of companies and (fortunately, as neither bike has had one) none have ever asked for proof of having a speedo fitted.

On limited mileage policies that I've had on other vehicles though, I've always had to provide a mileage reading at renewal - and,once, when I had a claim.,