Flooded bike won't rev

asbo239

Right, after three years and two kids I wanted to ride my Sherco 300 Cabestany replica trials bike again so I had to flush all the fuel system out on the bike, rushed it back together and put the lines back on the fuel pump wrong way around, the pump outlet connected to the vacuum line.

Didn't realise this at the time and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start so parked it up again. Back to it 6months later and find the engine and exhaust full of fuel. Drained what I can and cleaned fuel system again but it will only start if bumped off. And when its started it will only idle, it won't rev at all.

Could there still be fuel trapped in the crank? Would that cause my problem or could it be the exhaust after having fuel in it so long? Any help would be great, I really want to ride again.

Edited by asbo239
Missing information

1 hour ago, wobblenorbed said:

Strip and forensic clean of the carb required me thinks

Ive done that twice now with carb clean and compressed air. I've got a spare carb knocking about somewhere so I might try that.

Would a sheared woodruff key cause it to not rev or start on the kick?

Hi , have a simular model , cleaned tank , repaired leek , carefully diss carb , sprayed cleaned , , adjusted , , bike ran great , , then would not start ,  diss assembly again ,  would run , , over and over ,,   It was used bike purchased 4 years  ran when purchased , sat , with fuel ,  then turned into lemon ,  constant tinkering to get it started , then runs great , , so now stored with carb tank removed ,   Glad it’s my brothers ,, , ,  cheers 

1F303D19-9500-4AE5-9D0E-C45B7DE4D12E.jpeg

Update. I've stripped it all down tonight. Woodruff key is fine, reeds are fine, carb is clean, I've replaced the coil with a spare. 

I'm beginning to think its spark related. With the carb off and no plug in, it turns over really easy, but I only get one good spark then maybe nothing for a few revolutions then intermittent weak sparks. Could it be the stator?

• 3 weeks later...

Ive spoken to Steve at Bradford Ignitions who thought it was a stator fault, but after sending him my stator, CDI and coil for testing, he's unfortunately confirmed its my CDI thats at fault and is non repairable. Anyone got one for sale as I really don't want to spend £400 on a new one.