Classic British Bike - criteria

stpauls

12 hours ago, still trying said:

here's a thought; Is winning that important. Or is enjoying riding your machine the point. 

I always set out with the intention of winning, usually goes out the window after a couple of sections, because if i didnt then whats the point i might as well save the money and go "practicing". I enjoy the element of competition and "practicing" bores me to tears after 10 mins because it doesnt matter if you cock it up so i find i learn or develop very little a bit like if i enter an event with no personal incentive of winning. To progress i need to "dig deep" sometimes to "pull it back" or "send it". Just me i suppose but thats the way it is with me. 

I suppose its about whatever makes you happy and gives you enjoyment. If it was just about being out riding your bike we would all be on worn out uncompetitive bikes with bald tyres and bits held on with bailing wire and tie wraps lol. 

• Like 1

Can't agree on this one otf I love going out for a "play" though I do prefer a "real" trial if such a thing actually exists these days with observers and not too many routes and classes.

I've got a worn out  uncompetitive bike a 2006 Scorpa ty200f which is my default bike, a hoot to ride, sadly the bikes probably better than me now or maybe it always was? 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 12:13 AM, still trying said:

here's a thought; Is winning that important. Or is enjoying riding your machine the point. 

Isn't it both things together that is the pure essence of trials and why we keep coming back for more, why riding with mates in an event or possibly even practising, you dont HAVE to win the trial outright but you can achieve in lots of other ways, get up that hill, ride those rocks feet up, find grip where no one else does, every section can get a winner even if its only the best crash, to my mind trials is the forever giver if you're at all competitive?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, nigel dabster said:

Isn't it both things together that is the pure essence of trials and why we keep coming back for more, why riding with mates in an event or possibly even practising, you dont HAVE to win the trial outright but you can achieve in lots of other ways, get up that hill, ride those rocks feet up, find grip where no one else does, every section can get a winner even if its only the best crash, to my mind trials is the forever giver if you're at all competitive?

racing your mate/s to the next section, helping fix mechanical problems, sharing sweets/ tools/plugs/ pints afterwards. All the above, and this is why multi day events are even better as you have so much more time to share stories / experiences - good and bad. . ( you meet the strangest of people queuing for pipeline !!!)

Edited by b40rt
  • Like 2

I think I have come more competetive with age... This only works though if you ride with people of your age and ablility.  I have thought for a while now, certainly for trials like the pre 65 scottish there should be an age related handicap.  Riding in our first  new year trial this after noon.. so looking to get on the podium... as its only me and Jordi riding one of us should do it..      As to classic bikes and criteria.. its been done to death.. the horse has bolted.. Pre 65 or pre70 now whatever you call them had their day..... just an opinion. 

1 hour ago, metisse said:

I think I have come more competetive with age... This only works though if you ride with people of your age and ablility.  I have thought for a while now, certainly for trials like the pre 65 scottish there should be an age related handicap.  Riding in our first  new year trial this after noon.. so looking to get on the podium... as its only me and Jordi riding one of us should do it..      As to classic bikes and criteria.. its been done to death.. the horse has bolted.. Pre 65 or pre70 now whatever you call them had their day..... just an opinion. 

(This only works though if you ride with people of your age and ablility).   Best find someone a bit younger to ride with then!!! ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, metisse said:

second place isnt that bad?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1