Beta 300 4rt

Danny3

I’ve had 2 beta 4ts and never had any problems over and above the normal servicing. Only niggle I find is they don’t like stalling, so if it does when hot and won’t start after 2 kicks, pull the red hot start lever out to start it. Personal preference but I find the fast standard throttle too quick(maybe perfect for you) Amal 80/200 throttle makes big difference just put the nipple in the “spare” hole on carb end, it’s obvious when you look and it fits perfect. Other than that I love them, very different to 2 stroke 

I've has a couple, including a Factory. 250 a bit underpowered, 300 best buy, but a tad high geared for some, so worth trying a 9t on the front.  Better grip in wet than 4RT IMHO.  Exhaust needs to be well sealed & there is a bit of a hot spot near your leg. Factory model much smoother with a standard tailpipe. Airbox works well, much better than other popular 4 stroke. Get hold of a Jim Austermuhle airbox kit & it will be spot on. Side stand improved by fitting a Gas Gas one.

Usual Beta  good quality parts. Lots shared with the ever popular 2 stroke. Fabulous cross country tool & a great clubman bike. As with any used trials bike, it has to have been well looked after.        

2 hours ago, pjw123 said:

Jim Austermuhle airbox kit

Interesting comments.  What is this air box kit?

Which Gas Gas kickstand fits?  Does it use a different mount?  I tend to hit the Beta 4t kickstand bracket on steps.  It creates a burr and then the kick stand does not rotate easily.  

Jim makes a trick rear mudflap arrangement in a red nitrile rubber type material which provides a really good outer seal down the rear LHS of the airbox & mudguard. It really does keep the majority of the mud out. Kit also comes with a nice knurled airbox drain cap. However if very much doubt if you will need it in California. Late model alloy GG- side stand went on with a bit of fettling. Worked & looked much better than standard.  

I had a 2011 300 4t, very reliable and I found the power to be perfect and offer great traction. The easiest bike to start cold or hot. I was worried because starting a hot/stalled 4 stroke mx can be such a pain. The trick to hot start the 4T after a crash/tip over is just to hold the throttle wide open and a steady smooth kick. 

I love my 2020MY 300 4T. I shimed the clutch and replaced the plates with Barnetts, thanks to Don Williams, and put a 9t on the front which was a bit much, maybe adding 2 in the rear would have been better. I also put pegs that are18mm further rearward, which improved the balance for me. For hot starting, my fool proof method is to simply hold the throttle wide open while kicking. It starts first or second kick consistently.

Wardo

• 3 weeks later...

Wardo that's how I used to start my 250 4t 2012 worked every time. I eventually sold mine for a 2020 Repsol. I prefer it. Suspension and brakes are way better, it turns just as well and doesn't tuck the front like my beta randomly could,and virtually zero  engine braking. The jury for me is still out on mud grip, I think the beta just is a little better, I tend to ride the Repsol in 3rd or 4 th in the mud and it's much better like that. In the dry I think the Repsol is a much better package.

• 11 months later...
On 12/23/2020 at 12:12 PM, pjw123 said:

I've has a couple, including a Factory. 250 a bit underpowered, 300 best buy, but a tad high geared for some, so worth trying a 9t on the front.  Better grip in wet than 4RT IMHO.  Exhaust needs to be well sealed & there is a bit of a hot spot near your leg. Factory model much smoother with a standard tailpipe. Airbox works well, much better than other popular 4 stroke. Get hold of a Jim Austermuhle airbox kit & it will be spot on. Side stand improved by fitting a Gas Gas one.

Usual Beta  good quality parts. Lots shared with the ever popular 2 stroke. Fabulous cross country tool & a great clubman bike. As with any used trials bike, it has to have been well looked after.        

Hi, just read your post. The side stands are poor. Which year Gas Gas stand did you use. Is it only the stand or stand and mounting plate.