How often should you wax boots?

ksv

Any sort of leather treatment is best applied from new.  Once the leather is dirty the treatment is less effective.  (Unless they are factory treated - don't think the trials boots are, some walking boots are)

I have Wolfsports and gave them two good applications one when brand new and another a few rides later.  Have not bothered since and they are still OK.  The critical thing is the boots to be clean if you are putting more wax on.  I am lazy - far too lazy to really deeply clean mine and will buy some new boots at some point. 

• 3 weeks later...

Neatsfoot oiled my old Gaernes. Despite the instructions I laid it on quite thick contrary to instructions. Made the boots supple and waterproof again. I think the instructions to do multiple, thin coats is for “fashion” accessories. Not too concerned with the Gaernes color. Still eventually dried and looked the same anyway.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I agree!

neatsfoot oil is great and cheap compared to other options, a few coats and they are soon like a pair of old slippers!

I did remember hearing years ago though that the neatsfoot oil can destroy the stitching, has anyone else heard or experienced this?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/12/2021 at 2:12 AM, 99techno said:

I agree!

neatsfoot oil is great and cheap compared to other options, a few coats and they are soon like a pair of old slippers!

I did remember hearing years ago though that the neatsfoot oil can destroy the stitching, has anyone else heard or experienced this?

Wouldn't think so... I use it on mine and on all my leather tack for my horse, never had a problem other than it can discolour. Works wonderfully for the dirt boots I've used it on. 

Yeah, any conditioning oil, or dubbin (which is cheap), or saddle soap will work ok for making boots supple ... I can't speak for other brands, but my Formas were never waterproof so I've drilled some ventilation / drainage holes in the arch area (like chucks have) and use army surplus sealskin socks if needed.

On one recent river crossing on a hot day (with normal socks, I was expecting a dry river bed) the water just drained out and with the extra airflow my feet were dry again in an hour :)

On 12/23/2020 at 10:51 PM, ksv said:

I've just got some Gaerne balance natural oiled boots and some duckswax to treat them with. But how often do you need to apply the wax? After every ride? 

And do they need treating from new?

Why not ask Mr Duckswax (Martin Chivers)?

Personally I have Gaerne boots because they were the online that claim to be waterproof. I jetways them after every trial and then give them a rub over with dubbin. After 5 years I'm still on my original boots (slightly battered now) and just invested £3 in my second tin of dubbin. And the boots are still waterproof.

• Like 1