New member starting at 45yr old

LB208

Well today did my first day really enjoyed myself managed to suprise myself with some of the things I managed, but my god nobody mentioned how tiring it is especially on your arms was struggling to hold clutch in later in day, but overall a great day can’t wait for next time, been in a radox bath and having a well earned beer, happy new year evert...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LB208 said:

Well today did my first day really enjoyed myself managed to suprise myself with some of the things I managed, but my god nobody mentioned how tiring it is especially on your arms was struggling to hold clutch in later in day, but overall a great day can’t wait for next time, been in a radox bath and having a well earned beer, happy new year evert...

Tiring , you're not kidding. I did an experience day at Leek last December. Arrived home with a huge grin, that's about as much energy I had left.

The beer went some way to revival.

Glad you enjoyed it bud.?

• Haha 1

Same here. Had a day out at non stop trials South Wales and was totally bolluxed when I got home. Then had to jet wash the bike and my clothes and boots. Don't know where the energy came from for that, but enough energy to open a tinnie for this 64 year old. 

IMG_20201212_143034.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waynetod said:

Same here. Had a day out at non stop trials South Wales and was totally bolluxed when I got home. Then had to jet wash the bike and my clothes and boots. Don't know where the energy came from for that, but enough energy to open a tinnie for this 64 year old. 

IMG_20201212_143034.jpg

Nice little bike that - is it a standard Scorpa 125? 

Great bike bud . There was one for sale in Ammanford , recently, very reasonable , too far away for me.

I think they're super.:crying:

After summat similar.

Glad you enjoyed it. ??

Edited by Moomoo

13 hours ago, Waynetod said:

IMG_20201212_143034.jpg

Great stuff at least we earned that timnie ?

Hi to all 

Im new to the forum, and happy to see such a welcoming bunch.

Im building up my old Ossa Mar, It was damaged when i bought it 35years ago.
I lashed it back together and played about on it a bit, but didn't have the time to build the bike properly or reach  any level of skill.  
I hoped that i would get the time to rebuild it  and ride it on a regular basis at some time in the future. I’ve put a bit of time into the bike, and Its nearly there. I will have the time in a month or two.

This thread has given me a bit more confidence as Im a mere 59yrs old.

A good friend of mine has a group that he rides with, and has invited me along as they are going to be riding shortly. They are all 30-40yrs old so we'll have to see how that goes. There are a couple of old mates of mine that he has also invited, so there will be a good mix of ability. The two mates of mine that will be starting out at the same sort of time as me are close mates as we road ride together.
It will be interesting to see how we all get on. 

Really looking forward to it. So are my pals.

regards from Nick 

68A13543-12E9-4EEB-860B-D81B73BDF0C7.jpeg

On 1/2/2021 at 6:08 PM, LB208 said:

Nice one, it is great that you enjoyed it.

People who don't ride dirt bikes/trials bikes don't realise just how physical it is. I was once told by a (massively overweight) NHS nurse, on my annual health check, that I didn't do enough exercise because 'riding a motorbike doesn't count' ?

I would question whether your arms should be feeling it so much though? It might be a case of wrong position - hanging off your arms on climbs, rather than getting your weight balanced properly. It could simply be a case of holding on too tight. It might even be, in this cold weather, something as simple as wearing gloves that are too thick. Just a thought.

15 hours ago, Cee-B said:

I would question whether your arms should be feeling it so much though? It might be a case of wrong position - hanging off your arms on climbs, rather than getting your weight balanced properly. It could simply be a case of holding on too tight. It might even be, in this cold weather, something as simple as wearing gloves that are too thick. Just a thought.

Holding on to tight, will tire your arms quickly, and you need to be "loose" to move / compensate. Also, practising is probably more physical than riding  a trial , as usually it's more intense with fewer breaks to recover.

On 1/3/2021 at 5:45 PM, rr62 said:

Nice little bike that - is it a standard Scorpa 125? 

I believe its close to standard. It had 245kms on the clock, as new. It has been rejetted previously, and I'm not sure if they came with Apico handlebars, which mine has. Came with the longride seat, indicators, headlight, and mirrors, none of which have ever been fitted. Oh, it's got a real sticky rear tyre fitted. Pulls a fat old man around OK too. And Non Stop Trials had one for sale in Ammanford just after I bought this wee beauty. 

Alas, lockdown has prevented me from going back for some more fun. As for Arm pump up, I didn't suffer as I think if its powerful, you subconsciously hang on tighter. Stay loose?

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't take up trials until I was 48 and I am severely sight impaired!  I had so much fun as I hadn't been on a bike for almost 30 years and missed it so much.  Most people are really friendly, I did both modern and classic trials and progressed from utterly hopeless to just hopeless in a mere 15 years!  Never be embarrassed, just enjoy yourself and keep smiling.  One tip - never practice alone, I have seen exceptional riders have a silly freak accident and be stretchered away.  Good luck to you and try to stay 2m apart!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rhoda_Sodapop said:

I didn't take up trials until I was 48 and I am severely sight impaired!  I had so much fun as I hadn't been on a bike for almost 30 years and missed it so much.  Most people are really friendly, I did both modern and classic trials and progressed from utterly hopeless to just hopeless in a mere 15 years!  Never be embarrassed, just enjoy yourself and keep smiling.  One tip - never practice alone, I have seen exceptional riders have a silly freak accident and be stretchered away.  Good luck to you and try to stay 2m apart!

Thankyou I have struggled with mental health and this is my of starting again and starting to enjoy my life again don’t think I will ever be better than hopeless but doesn’t matter??

9 minutes ago, LB208 said:

Thankyou I have struggled with mental health and this is my of starting again and starting to enjoy my life again don’t think I will ever be better than hopeless but doesn’t matter??

I like hopeless, it's up there with other stuff that doesn't hurt if you accept it! ??

• Like 1