4rt fork slider dent

brianjonesphoto

I dove into my winter maintenance today on my 05 4rt. I went to change the fork oil and noticed the spring leg was binding mid stroke. After I tore the fork down I found a small ridge from a dent in the lower slider. I know the proper course of action is to replace the slider. I’m not sure I can get the part. One online source says available in 2-3 days another says extended back order due to covid and no sort of timeframe. I’m in the US so it will likely me harder to find one. 

if I can’t get a replacement what are my options? I had the thought of using and exhaust pipe expander with hose clamps on the outside to support the leg to hopefully push the dent out enough without deforming the tube any further. 

im hoping I can get some options from my suspension guy on Monday. 

thanks. 

51498797-3392-4E34-9A6B-A682921C7AF2.jpeg

647E3CDC-D9CB-460B-B4A8-B3AF1F9F0C0F.jpeg

I had a similar problem with an RL Suzuki, which had rather thin sliders, but the fork jammed completely (the Mamore Road, not to mention the sections, was fairly interesting with a solid front end?).  I can't recall exactly what they did but a local machine shop were able to sort it and it lasted for years thereafter.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

3 hours ago, jonboy883 said:

Reeming  tool welded onto an extension bar to get down in? It wouldn't weaken it that much.

I've done similar on a few sliders, but I used a boring bar in a lathe.

Edited by suzuki250

4 hours ago, suzuki250 said:

I've done similar on a few sliders, but I used a boring bar in a lathe.

I have been wondering about this.  How do you set up a slider in a lathe?  All of the external surfaces are non-precision as-cast surfaces.  How is the slider held and how do you get the bore aligned straight and centered?

If you can't get it sorted with a reeming tool setup to you might check Banyeres. 

Might be worth considering: https://jbanyeres.com/en/suspension/2440-suspension-botella-original-showa-conjunto-derecha-izquierda.html?search_query=showa&results=83

And the other option might be a full set: https://jbanyeres.com/en/montesa/471-horquilla-delantera-showa-trial-modelo-2009-2012-39-mm.html?search_query=showa&results=83

Edited by jonnyc21

18 hours ago, mcman56 said:

I have been wondering about this.  How do you set up a slider in a lathe?  All of the external surfaces are non-precision as-cast surfaces.  How is the slider held and how do you get the bore aligned straight and centered?

there are a couple of ways,

In a four jaw chuck and a fixed steady (and a bush to fitted to run the steady) 

or the slider mounted on on the cross slide (vee blocks and lots of packing), and boring bar in the chuck  

both methods take a lot of clocking up!

• Like 1