4 RIDE ADVICE PLEASE

woody1970

Hi guys. I’m looking to buy a 4 ride next year with a budget for a 2 or 3 year old one. What are your thoughts on them for reliability & rideability & general info . I’ve heard people say the gear shift is too far away but not sure if this is true.  With thanks Andy   Cheers guys

If you're used to Trials bikes the gear lever is in the normal position, if you're coming from a road bike then the lever is a little further away. This is due to the fact that it's based on a Trials engine. If the lever was closer to the pegs on a Trials bike you'd end up knocking the lever with the front of your boots (shin plate) when on steep inclines or in technical situations when you need to redistribute your weight. S3 do a kit which brings the lever closer to the pegs.

It's a very capeable bike and good fun. The low seat height and light weight make it very useful. The only downside may be the fuel range (about 90 miles) and not having electric start if that's what you're used to. Flat out it'll do 120km/h, that's in stock form with the restrictors still in. I did a video on one a couple of years back on the you tube thingy.

Most trail riders would benefit from riding one of these instead of a generic 450 Enduro bike, much more user friendly and they are much easier to handle if you get in trouble out on the trails

Thanks very much for that info.  Sounds like the ideal machine. You say there is an S3 kit. Is that easily obtained  & from where ?  I used to have a gas gas 250 about 20 yrs ago !!  I never really noticed if the gear lever was a distance away from the pegs as I also used to have a VTR 1000 .

Having  the ability to do a few road miles would be useful too & the extra mileage  cos 90 miles is a very good range compared to the normal trials machines & depending on how it’s ridden obviously.

Do you still own one & I reckon you prefer it to a two stroke ?

Cheers  Andy

90 miles???? You'll be lucky! I get about 40-50miles max, so need to keep that in mind and carry some extra fuel and plan the fuel stops on the route. Other than that, they are a great bike. I use 10-38 gearing on mine and although it will do more, usually keep to 50mph max on A roads. (Although we try and avoid main roads and keep to the small lanes between the green ones.) Easy to fit 2 Liters under seat if needed.

• Like 1

Woody, mine is a 2019 but I don't think there is many (if any) differences between them. And I wouldn't bother with the gear lever kit really as you don't have to change gear that much with such a wide torque band (and I am used to trials bikes  ? )  The S3 air box mod is useful though as is putting a different lid on the air filter. (17212-NN4-G10)

12 hours ago, woody1970 said:

Sounds good. If you purchase let us know how you get on with it. Be good to hear what you think Jonny 

Will do

I fancy an 83kg trailbike, as hauling around my current 130kg (fuelled) one is no joke on technical lanes

Down your way in WSM it would be perfect for the Devon and Dorset tricky lanes 

Up here in Yorkshire, we have a lot of open Fell going and on an Enduro bike you can easily ride at 40-50mph

Not sure how good the suspension on the 4Ride would cope on faster going, only thing that is putting me off, at present

I've had mine for approx 2 years. 

Fuel range for me is about 50 miles, (and plenty room under the seat for another litre in a bottle, and tools, and a butty!)

I use mine for a bit of trials riding, and technical trail riding. For trials, it a touch big, and a touch cumbersome, but i'm crap at trials so it's never going to be the bike the holds me back, just my lack of talent. I'd happily enter a trial on it. For trail riding i find it brilliant, but most of my "trail" riding is very illegal. Down footpaths, streams, through the woods etc,,,, It's amazing for that, it's small and nimble, you just aren't getting stuck anywhere. Tyres wise i swapped to Maxxis trialmax, the knobs are a touch wider spaced, and make for more grip in the mud, and less vague at speed. On the road she's happy at 45/50mph, which is plenty to find the next "section". High speed offroad is definitely not it's thing, the suspension is short travel, and not damped correctly for following your mates on their Enduro's, don't try, i have and it hurts!!!

I have high level front mudguard on mine, it's quite clay based around me, and the standard trials front mudguard could get blocked. Gear lever is a long way from foot, but S3 make a kit to move it. I also have the S3 airfilter lid thing, definitely worth having, it makes filter changes a 2 minute job.

Feel free to ask me any questions, i LOVE this bike and could chat about it all day.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 6:27 PM, woody1970 said:

Hi guys. I’m looking to buy a 4 ride next year with a budget for a 2 or 3 year old one. What are your thoughts on them for reliability & rideability & general info . I’ve heard people say the gear shift is too far away but not sure if this is true.  With thanks Andy   Cheers guys

I rode one for a few days in spain when montana adventures were running their trips. fantastic bike for tough trails and no real disadvantage except when you were doing moto x stuff.

reliability is probably second to none, if maintained correctly. Fuel and therefore distance could be an issue but as they take straight petrol and the 1 litre under tank with a bit of planning you should be fine. harder the trail more fuel is used.