Oset 16 500w 24v (really old one)

Yjo

Well folks, I bought an old oset off a friend without doing any research, what can I say, it was before Christmas and I was panicking! Anyway, it's the 24v 500 Oset 16 Spider but I bought a 36v Boost bike battery which certainly peps it up a little (a lot). Pretty quick top end, actually quicker than my 24r to be fair, the 24r is carrying me tho, and I'm definitely at the top end of 90kgs.

After breaking small 9mm chain earlier today (I'm pretty sure it was fairly old) I was thinking of upgrading to a heavy duty sprocket and chain set (9T front and 68T rear) but I'm not sure if the sprocket will fit the front motor as it doesn't had the D shaped fitting. I've asked the retailer so hopefully they will let me know if it is available. But as this would be the same ratio as the standard I don't imagine it will increase the acceleration at all. Is there anyway to increase the acceleration? I can't find any other motor sizes available (I believe they made 600w and 750w in later models)

Any thoughts appreciated...

with 24v battery and the same controller and ratio then nothing will change, To get more acceleration you will either have to lose a bit off the top end via ratio ( but this will also increase the torque and may not be very desirable/controllable ), or increase the voltage to 36v , this will also increase the top speed and you can then charge the ratio to slow it down again but this can cause the same problems as above, you will prod also have to replace the controller to a 36v one so you will need to know what is the current limit on the 24v contoller so you can either match it or have a higher current limit . Or the last option is to increase the current limit on your exsiting controller and change the  ratio to make it a bit faster , but im not totally sure if this can be done on the older oset controllers. but no matter what way you go you may have more problems with the motor over heating

Edited by gwhy

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone else who may have had the same problem, I just changed the 13 tooth front sprocket for an 11 tooth front sprocket. With the 36v Boost battery even on my 500w 24v Oset 16 Spider, this setup makes the bike an absolute rocket ship. Highly recommended

Edited by Yjo

• 1 year later...
On 1/3/2021 at 3:59 PM, Yjo said:

Well folks, I bought an old oset off a friend without doing any research, what can I say, it was before Christmas and I was panicking! Anyway, it's the 24v 500 Oset 16 Spider but I bought a 36v Boost bike battery which certainly peps it up a little (a lot). Pretty quick top end, actually quicker than my 24r to be fair, the 24r is carrying me tho, and I'm definitely at the top end of 90kgs.

After breaking small 9mm chain earlier today (I'm pretty sure it was fairly old) I was thinking of upgrading to a heavy duty sprocket and chain set (9T front and 68T rear) but I'm not sure if the sprocket will fit the front motor as it doesn't had the D shaped fitting. I've asked the retailer so hopefully they will let me know if it is available. But as this would be the same ratio as the standard I don't imagine it will increase the acceleration at all. Is there anyway to increase the acceleration? I can't find any other motor sizes available (I believe they made 600w and 750w in later models)

Any thoughts appreciated...

There is a local 16 to me that is an old 24v version as well.  Can a 36v battery be added without any modifications to the controller or other electronics?