Montesa cota 4rt 2005 doesn’t start

Diaz

Hello all,

i diaz from Indonesia. I have problem with my 2nd hand Montesa just i bought.. this Montesa come with Accu connected tO rectiffierregulator pin ignition for positive and extra ground cable as negative from accu.. i try tO disconnet the battrey but i don’t know the original cable conection for rectifier regulator. Would it be possible tO get some help from this form?

I don't' know of any 4RT's that use a battery... If it really is a 4RT and has one it has likely been modified.  As such you will want to start looking into the electrical diagram of the bike and see if you can figure it out.  Good luck.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/853548/Montesa-Cota-4rt-2005.html

Edited by jonnyc21

4 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

I don't' know of any 4RT's that use a battery... If it really is a 4RT and has one it has likely been modified.  As such you will want to start looking into the electrical diagram of the bike and see if you can figure it out.  Good luck.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/853548/Montesa-Cota-4rt-2005.html

AHi Jonny & Jonny,

As i know 4RT’s used a battrey... the idea of previouse owner installed this battrey tO make fuel pump run and inject some fuel In tO fire camber.. so once hE give some kick the engine able tO run.. seam silly for Montesa got this rather than tO fine real issue.. oN the regulator rectifier socket the cable has been change... i’m lost oN this point as well 3 yellow cable still conected as it is but other 3 wire has been change.. do you have some picture tO give more over Clear oN the reg.rectifier connection?

C1C61F69-4837-45DA-A59E-337D3F2C420D.jpeg

The 4RT doesn't need a battery to run, it wasn't designed to run a battery by Honda and HRC

This is probably the source of your non starting woes, if someone has fitted a battery?

It doesn't need one, why did the previous owner think it did?

Remove the stupid battery and return the 4RT to stock, set tickover at 1800 rpm and the bike will run and run

Edited by johnnyboxer
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 4:58 PM, Diaz said:

AHi Jonny & Jonny,

As i know 4RT’s used a battrey... the idea of previouse owner installed this battrey tO make fuel pump run and inject some fuel In tO fire camber.. so once hE give some kick the engine able tO run.. seam silly for Montesa got this rather than tO fine real issue.. oN the regulator rectifier socket the cable has been change... i’m lost oN this point as well 3 yellow cable still conected as it is but other 3 wire has been change.. do you have some picture tO give more over Clear oN the reg.rectifier connection?

C1C61F69-4837-45DA-A59E-337D3F2C420D.jpeg

I have never seen a 4RT that uses a battery, not my friends 2005, my 2007 or my 2017 or any of the others that I have had the chance to ride... maybe this is an Indonesia only configuration? If so I wouldn't have a diagram for that.  

The diagram here shows a condenser (capacitor) that in the case of the 4RT is used to buffer the system to work without a battery.  This allows you to kick the bike over once to charge the system and then on the second kick it will start no battery needed.  If the bike you have is running a battery I would consider checking the condenser/capacitor is good as it might be causing a fault to the system having been connected to a battery all the time when the system was not designed for that; unless it has a disconnect that is used every time the bike is not in use?  

Sorry I am not able to be of more help.  

Best of luck.  

Edited by jonnyc21

On 1/27/2021 at 2:34 AM, jonnyc21 said:

I have never seen a 4RT that uses a battery, not my friends 2005, my 2007 or my 2017 or any of the others that I have had the chance to ride... maybe this is an Indonesia only configuration? If so I wouldn't have a diagram for that.  

The diagram here shows a condenser (capacitor) that in the case of the 4RT is used to buffer the system to work without a battery.  This allows you to kick the bike over once to charge the system and then on the second kick it will start no battery needed.  If the bike you have is running a battery I would consider checking the condenser/capacitor is good as it might be causing a fault to the system having been connected to a battery all the time when the system was not designed for that; unless it has a disconnect that is used every time the bike is not in use?  

Sorry I am not able to be of more help.  

Best of luck.  

Hi Jonny,

sorry tO make you confuse.. back oN basic.. this Montesa had some modification oN the electrical system.. now.. i like tO put back my Montesa tO original set up like you have.. i don’t know witch cable tO connect tO rectifier.. from there i Will start.. please sent me rectifier conection picture 

On 1/26/2021 at 5:29 PM, johnnyboxer said:

The 4RT doesn't need a battery to run, it wasn't designed to run a battery by Honda and HRC

This is probably the source of your non starting woes, if someone has fitted a battery?

Remove the stupid battery and return the 4RT to stock, set tickover at 1800 rpm and the bike will run and run

Hi Jonny,

yes, i like tO remove the smart battery..? can you guide me tO put back 4RT standart? I need help tO put back the wire from rectifier tO the system.. bcs oN the manual book diagram only mention 5 cable.. and i don’t know witch pin need tO be used..

Can you sent me rectifier socket picture for cable color connection?

6 hours ago, johnnyboxer said:

6 hours ago, johnnyboxer said:

Hi Johnny,

can you help me for cable color & position oN the attached picture.. In the circle mark?

91E930CE-0C3A-48C0-9884-47E2F68369BD.jpeg

On 1/28/2021 at 6:43 AM, Diaz said:

Hi Jonny,

sorry tO make you confuse.. back oN basic.. this Montesa had some modification oN the electrical system.. now.. i like tO put back my Montesa tO original set up like you have.. i don’t know witch cable tO connect tO rectifier.. from there i Will start.. please sent me rectifier conection picture 

I am very busy with work and haven't had time to work on or do anything with my bikes in weeks.  It will likely be several more weeks before I would be able to spare the time to take it down to the point I could take any pictures. 

However if you get a good copy of the diagram it has the color codes on it the legend is in the lower right of the image you posted.  See the example snip-it to see a sub section decoded a bit using the legend.  . 

diagram.jpg

Edited by jonnyc21