Complete novice

HMAD

Hi, I'm having trouble with oil leaking from the clutch cover case ( attempted 3 times now) with new o rings every time. Maybe I need a new cover as it appears there is silicone in the grove were the ring sits. I have removed this and it's still leaking. When I think I've sorted it and start the bike to warm up it then starts leaking black fluid from under the rear exhaust some were. Can anyone tell me what the problem is thanks 

Is it actually gear oil, or crap  from the exhaust ? (On many bikes I've used good quality silicon to seal cases, my method is use silicon sparingly, put casing on and tighten as usual, leave overnight to cure before adding oil )

• Like 1

I think it's crap from the exhaust it's a 2010 sherco 125 . It's seems to be leaking near the rear suspension part of the exhaust. Could it be something to do with the bike being on the side may be flooded ?

Sounds more like your middle exhaust box silencer is gunked up with 2stroke oil, and your exhaust o ring's are probably old and worn so you get oil dripping from the joint on to the engine down the back of your clutch cover housing making you think its gearbox oil. ? Elimentary my dear whatson... ? Get a blow torch take your mid box off and blow torch it until its stops smoking.and repack your rear muffler whilst your at it. It Worked for me. 

• Like 1

If the bike doesn't get really hot, at least occasionally, you will get a build up of 2strokes in the exhaust. If the box is steel, do as is suggested above, if it's alloy  you could do all sorts of damage.

Thanks for you replies, I've had the bike around 2 month and haven't really had it out properly just round my garden due to lock down. To be honest everything I seem to tutch goes wrong. Changing coolant ( drain bolt was cross threaded)  changing gear box oil ,( leaks every time the bike warms up slightly) ect lol. Back to the black fluid, I've just has a look at the bike around the exhaust and all seals/joints seem to be ok ( no black fluid) . There seems to be a couple of pipes in the area would they have anything to do with it ?

I've noticed today on the clutch cover there is a small dint / scratch and possiblity lost its shape. I've ordered a new cover and rings for it. As for the black fluid will this disappear once the bike is ran for a while and opened up. Thanks