Bultaco kickstart mech

midlife

I would check that the shaft isn`t bent and if it is okay then lay the bike over and drip some oil into where the shaft goes through the case. It may have some corrosion in there causing it to stick. That is about all I can think of without simply pulling the motor apart to find out why.

When you start the bike and let the kickstart back up does it fully return to it's stop by itself or does it stop short and are you able to push it fully home by hand which cures the problem?

The only reason it would sound as though it is still engaged is due to the ratchet not being fully home and still engaging with the starter gear. All that can cause this is a problem with the ratchet cam itself which is unlikely if there wasn't a problem before fitting a new spring. Even if the gearbox was dry it should still have a coating of oil and return fully. Does the gearbox have oil?

Firstly, are you sure the spring is tensioned enough to fully return it?

Or, the nut that locates the spring is on the threaded end of the ratchet guide so if you undid the nut fully it's possible that the guide moved inwards whilst fitting the spring. I don't think it can move enough to affect its correct location but can't be certain. The guide has a flat on one side and this locates against a recessed flat on the inside of the casing. If the guide moved inwards and turned it might be possible that it turned enough that the flats didn't line up and when you tightened the nut back up and it hasn't pulled the guide back far enough to fully locate the ratchet. With the nut removed there should be approximately 14mm length of thread showing on the outside of the case. If it's less by a few millimetres it could be incorrectly located, try pulling on it gently and turning left and right to see if it slots back into place. This is just a guess but it's what I'd be looking at if I was certain the spring was fitted and tensioned correctly

• Like 2

1 hour ago, woody said:

Or, the nut that locates the spring is on the threaded end of the ratchet guide so if you undid the nut fully it's possible that the guide moved inwards whilst fitting the spring. I don't think it can move enough to affect its correct location but can't be certain. The guide has a flat on one side and this locates against a recessed flat on the inside of the casing. If the guide moved inwards and turned it might be possible that it turned enough that the flats didn't line up and when you tightened the nut back up and it hasn't pulled the guide back far enough to fully locate the ratchet. With the nut removed there should be approximately 14mm length of thread showing on the outside of the case. If it's less by a few millimetres it could be incorrectly located, try pulling on it gently and turning left and right to see if it slots back into place. This is just a guess but it's what I'd be looking at if I was certain the spring was fitted and tensioned correctly

+ 1 on that.

These were my thoughts too - but expressed so much more eloquently than I could manage........

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 1