clutch and gear shifting

juststartin

Apologies for the stupid question but Im literally just starting out.  I know gear shifting isn't something you are constantly doing on a trials bike .. but ..do you need to use a clutch to shift gears up and down or not (like a dirt bike). Thanks in advance

I use the clutch for every gear change on my 250 Evo with flywheel weight. Unlike just about everything else I’ve ever driven or ridden, up-changes are more clunky than down-changes.

The heavy flywheel means that the bike slows down faster than the engine on up-changes, so the speeds never synchronise. I find it best to try to change up when going downhill and never when going up.

In contrast, a little blip of throttle while changing down makes them silky smooth (well, fairly smooth).

Now someone will come along and tell me I’m doing it all wrong.?

Edited by trapezeartist
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, suzuki250 said:

Use the clutch, its not a race so you don't the power on all the time. 

It's nice to see "its not a race" ?, just need to stop the commentators calling it a race.

Oh, use the clutch for mechanical sympathy unless you like breaking your bike.

On the road going up the box clutch less isn't really a problem and down shifting works if you time it right.

Correct gear choice is part of the game although there'll always be the odd cock-up ?

• Like 1