Nova HMRC

Good Morning All

I have brought a Yamaha YZ250 yesterday I want to put it on road exempt enduro and get a log book for it and put it on q plate make it road legal , the last owner as put  It on day time Mot which is ok so mot runs out July this year on this bike , question is will I need to register the bike with nova hmrc ? 

only thing ive done is filled in v55/5 form following guides on the utube that part is fine ,,,,please advise what other steps I need to do  many thanks rich

Good morning, 

The bike is not a import

I've filled  v55/5 form ready to send,  looking online you need to send nova Certificate photo copy of driving licence utility bill etc 

I don't have the nova Certificate. 

with it having mot on bike would you think its on gov web site and maybe nova? all logged.

or Should I fill in the online nova and start again   Thank you for help rich

You have to complete the NOVA form. It's really designed for new imports but a NOVA completion is required to register anything. It's to ensure that any VAT and import duty have been aid on a vehicle.  NOVA is a declaration to HMRC and seperate from the registration process. DVLA won't register anything until it is on NOVA system

If you search this specific topic for NOVA there is plenty of info on what you have to do.

Thank you I've just completed that nova ,,,,the last owner put this bike through mot surely it would be logged on gov website and nova already?  but on mot paper work I have  it don't have a bike reg but only vin plate number for id and passed a mot for day time use only 

thank you for help 

NOVA is nothing to do with the MOT and the MOT won't display any NOVA reference. NOVA is purely a HMRC process concerning duty payable on imported vehicles. DVLA will check all V55/5 applications to see if the vehicle is recorded on NOVA, if it isn't they won't issue a registration number. NOVA records the VIN number

29 minutes ago, Creepytheclutchmaster said:

If its been on a day time mot before you don't have to nova it. It should be on sorn by the previous owner and he should if asked for your details to change the ownership of the bike when he sold it. 

The bike hasn't been registered so yes it does have to be recorded on NOVA to register it. It was MOT'd on the chassis number for registration or insurance purposes. There is no V5 to change ownership on

Good Afternoon woody

I have contacted nova  got the nova ref number for this The bike  so we are ok to go to v55/5 form  ****do I have to send off insurance cover note with form?***

I have v55 form ready to send a photo copy of driving licence, utility bill  and mot paper work 

You can get an MOT on any vehicle whether or not it is registered in the UK.  The test is simply a requirement for UK registered vehicles.   I registered our car when we returned to the UK and the requirements were some sort of insurance and a current MOT (if over 3 years old).  As the car was registered elsewhere in the EU you just changed the documentation.  Since leaving the EU the process is a bit more complex to my personal experience but essentially you will still need an MOT on an old vehicle and this can be issued on the VIN number if the vehicle is not registered.  Therefore the existence of an MOT does not confirm the vehicle has already been registered.

You posted same second as me -

edit - for us on the car you had to have insurance and the application required payment for the VED as well.  Not sure if you can apply and SORN at the same time, doubt it  -  the DVLA want your cash ?

Edited by ChrisCH

Good Afternoon

I have contacted nova  got the nova ref number for this The bike  so we are ok to go to v55/5 form  ****do I have to send off insurance cover note with form?***

I have v55 form ready to send a photo copy of driving licence, utility bill  and mot paper work 

Hello Again all thank you for your help

Attached photo could anyone tell me is this engine serial number  MS4 1P8  4YB015      or is it just 4YB015  i need it to be correct on v55/5 form

20210208_130245.jpg

Edited by tricky1965
spelling

Can't help with the engine number as I'm not familiar with YZ numbering but I'd have thought it matched the frame number in part. The engine number isn't as important to the V5 as the chassis number.

To register it you don't need insurance unless you're in Northern Ireland but you have to tax it which you can then surrender and SORN it if you need to. Check the DVLA website for registering a new vehicle for what you need

12 hours ago, tricky1965 said:

Thank you I've just completed that nova ,,,,the last owner put this bike through mot surely it would be logged on gov website and nova already?  but on mot paper work I have  it don't have a bike reg but only vin plate number for id and passed a mot for day time use only 

thank you for help 

If you send a V62 form to DVLA with the chassis and engine number (plus pics), they will give you the original registration number that the bike was MOT'd on

Costs you £25

No need for an awkward Q plate

Edited by johnnyboxer

Hi Johnnyboxer,

I phone DVLA with Chassis number etc told them it had mot paper work with no reg  on it,  they said you can mot a bike without reg ,  good news on nova that's all ok now, ready for v55/5 form to be sent  ,form filled ready in with photo copy of driving licence photo copy of utility bill the original mot certificate i think that's all I need?      and postal orders tomorrow for fees and bike tax.  might have to have q plate unless I register certificate of newness I think its called Thank you for your help