Beta Evo 125 Kick start failure help / tips

JustinC

Kicked started my boys Evo today, probably somehow miss timed the kick and it felt like something broke in the kick starter mechanism. It did start but it rattled like hell (sounding like something loose in there) so I stopped it. Shortly after, I tried to start it again and whatever part of the kick start mechanism failed completely so now the Kick start doesn’t turn the engine at all. It doesn’t seem to the the kick steer lever itself- eternally that seems fine - and it turns the shaft it’s on.

I’m new to the sport so other than oil and filter changes, haven’t had to open the engine previously.

Im fancying setting too with the manuals in hand to replace whatever's broken.

What’s likely to be broken (or is it simply a case of stripping inspecting and replacing what’s obviously bust)?

Will I be able to keep the coolant system intact when I lift off the clutch cover?

What consumables will I need to replace (seals or gaskets) routinely ?

Any other tips for the job gratefully received!

I found a YouTube video but only of a Gas Gas starter being changed (American chap) but prob better than nothing !

thanks in advance

Justin

You are most likely going to have to take the side cover off.

I would start by draining the oil and taking the clutch off and check for debris (if you have an impact wrench you can use it to remove the centre nut of the clutch basket if you are careful)

It looks like on the 2strokes this is also the side for the water pump so if you are taking the entire side cover off it will probably need to be drained. ( you can take just the clutch plate off without doing this but to fix it you will need to take the side cover off)

I would get new gaskets and seals just in case they are worn or swollen. ( i got mine from Beta UK website last time )

Once you have the side case off look for any debris in the bottom on the case and inspect the kick start mechanism and clutch basket to see what is broken.

Beta UK website does have explosions diagrams of everything you need under the part finder if you need to check anything.

Take what I said with a grain of salt as I normally work on a 4T which is slightly different

If you lay the bike on its side you can take the cover off without draining the oil.

However, it is likely you have damaged the kickstart gears so you would be wanting to replace the oil anyway to get rid of any metal fragments..

A clutch holding tool can be used to hold the clutch whist you undo the centre nut, if you don't have a impact wrench.

Whist it's open would be worth checking the clutch plates and the water pump impeller.

Just hope any bits of metal flying around inside the cases haven't done any significant damage.

You typically have to drop the skid plate to drop the rubber bumper under the engine as it holds the case on. Drain the oil. It’s cheap and you’re going to want to check the magnet for teeth anyway. You can pull the cover without draining the coolant but it’s a pain tying it out of the way with the hoses attached but it’s a pain to remove the hoses to. Once you get the cover off I’m sure the failure will be obvious. Hopefully it’s just the starter gear gone but you’ll have to check all the mating gears for damage. If you’re careful you can get away with the same gaskets without a problem. I’d recommend draining the coolant as well. Again it’s cheap. Replace with Engine Ice or Pro-Cool premixed propylene glycol based coolant. This is one of those jobs you fumble through the first time being extra careful and the next time you just pull it apart in about five minutes.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I made a start and drained the coolant and oil and dropped the skid plate rear and lifted the case off. Nothing obvious to see yet but over the weekend I’ll get the clutch off so I can get the whole starter mechanism out and I’ll let you know how I get on.

Gulp....

• Like 1

So here’s the update...

I took the clutch off and found it’s not a problem with the kick start mechanism itself but the kickstart drive sprocket on the back of the clutch basket (see photo) which has lost three teeth. So the kickstart drive just not catching on the main drive.

So to the next questions...

1) How do you get the sprockets of the back of the clutch basket?

2) I can only find 2 of the 3 missing teeth on this side of the engine. (Pic). What’s involved in finding the last tooth? Where to start looking? How to go about it? How big a job is it?

if it’s a huge job - is there any sense in putting it back together and leaving the tooth in there or is it very likely to trash the gearbox and just not worth risking?

thanks guys.

justin

44FC9938-177A-4CCC-83A3-9ACDE3E598BB.jpeg

FC1F7DC3-97AB-44F7-9C16-A5C7E444761B.jpeg

688298AE-0373-4661-AFA2-3C7BED9C8505.jpeg

• Thanks 1

In part answer to my own questions, it looks like the clutch basket and main / starter drive sprockets are one piece. Though looking at the parts list, BetaUK don’t seem to have one in stock which surprises me.

looking at the workshop manual link rcgods kindly provided, looking for the lost tooth in the gearbox will mean splitting the crankcase which I presume is an engine out job ? I presume you can’t take the gearbox side of the case with the engine in.

My main question now is wether to hunt further for the lost tooth. I’m presuming I should.

anyway thanks to those of you who can comment.

Just because you can't find the third piece now doesn't mean its still in the cases.  It could have come out with the oil at some time.

My Evo lost two teeth from a gearbox cog and I only found out when they came out with the oil.

Before you split the cases I would give the engine a shake and see if you can hear anything.  One of those telescopic magnetic tools might help get it out.

The only way you will be certain it's not inside will be to split the cases!

• Like 1

Stu, Dan ,RC Gods and Kona,

Thanks for all your advice.

Just to close the loop, here's what I did...

Got the new part from BetaUK (£300 - gulp) and a fresh clutch case seal. Refit everything with Part manual diagrams to be sure everything going together correctly.

Filled the case with Diesel (literally full), bounced it round, turned the engine over with the ignition off and drained the diesel, then standard fill with oil and this time ran  / rode it for 20 mins and drained the oil before another standard fill with oil and went riding (or at least my boys did) with no problems. Prob change this oil after an hour or two.

My impression is that I broke two teeth and found them pretty quickly in situ but suspect (as you said Stu)  the third tooth has been gone for a while (perhaps even in previous owners time) and is either 'dust' or came out one way or another with an oil change some time back (or at least I hope it did).

Anyway, everything seems to be running OK.

At least I got to see the inside of my first Beta - which was pretty straightforward really so Im pleased I cut my teeth on it!!

all the best.

Justin 

• Like 2