Side Protection for Knees?

mcman56

Are any knee guards/ pads available that provide good side protection for knees, both inside and outside?  I have a bad habit of hitting both of those areas.  EVS Option was the best I could find that wrapped a bit around the inside and outside but I'm limping around today from a hit to the inside of my knee when falling down in a rock pile.  Any input or recommendations would be helpful

I have seen some that look like socks with foam but they don't look to have any kind of hard plastic shell.  How do they survive sharp rocks?  Are they hot.  Summers are quite warm here but protection can be more important.

I have seen others that have good coverage but have pivot bolts on the sides where I'm looking for protection.  Are your knees adequately protected from those pivot bolts?  I would not want one driven into the side of my knee like a nail.   

https://www.evs-sports.com/products/option-knee-pad?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&utm_source=digitalthrottle&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=13698508&gclid=Cj0KCQiA34OBBhCcARIsAG32uvMDaYXz7f6KgHmCEZ7B_X8OQS3WqWSe-WYAGA20xgeScLgEhGkt1ogaAnyrEALw_wcB

4 hours ago, mcman56 said:

Are any knee guards/ pads available that provide good side protection for knees, both inside and outside?  I have a bad habit of hitting both of those areas.  EVS Option was the best I could find that wrapped a bit around the inside and outside but I'm limping around today from a hit to the inside of my knee when falling down in a rock pile.  Any input or recommendations would be helpful

I have seen some that look like socks with foam but they don't look to have any kind of hard plastic shell.  How do they survive sharp rocks?  Are they hot.  Summers are quite warm here but protection can be more important.

I have seen others that have good coverage but have pivot bolts on the sides where I'm looking for protection.  Are your knees adequately protected from those pivot bolts?  I would not want one driven into the side of my knee like a nail.   

https://www.evs-sports.com/products/option-knee-pad?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&utm_source=digitalthrottle&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=13698508&gclid=Cj0KCQiA34OBBhCcARIsAG32uvMDaYXz7f6KgHmCEZ7B_X8OQS3WqWSe-WYAGA20xgeScLgEhGkt1ogaAnyrEALw_wcB

Where in the world are you? 

More than half of the riders I see in the UK don't wear any obvious protection but the previous question could have just as easily related to choice of supplier.

I'm not aware of any guards with good side protection, it's probably considered a lower risk area for most sports.

The sock type guards are varied, there's no easy answer to the level of protection or heat. I have Jitise which have an insert with a hard shell and Bliss Protection Minimalist which harden on impact. The bliss protection ones are cooler, less noticeable, and have less of a tendency to be knocked out of the way by a side impact, I'm sure they offer less protection but I consider them adequate and now only wear these ones.

Have you considered trying knee braces?  I know a few people on here have posted about wearing CTi pro sport braces for riding trials and they give good reports.

It may be overkill for what you want, they do however offer great side protection though.

I don’t know what the CTi are like but I wear the K8 2.0 POD forged Carbon knee braces.  I regularly ride in temperatures above 35c (98f) and find once you get them adjusted and fitted right I am not really aware they are there, they did take a little acclimatisation though on the first few rides.  They are obviously a bit warmer than just knee pads but the payoff is great all around protection including safe guarding your ACL.

I’ve attached a picture so you can see the level of side protection, when your leg is straight (for example when putting your foot down in a rock garden) you have pretty much full impact coverage for the knee.

POD have a US distributor and they also have a cheaper K4 model.  https://www.podactive.com/k8-knee-brace-unbreakable/

Hope this helps

POD.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 9:52 PM, mcman56 said:

I'm in the US.  Your response implies that knee guards are not worn in the UK.  Do your bikes come with some kind of "don't fall in the rocks" option?  I could really use an option like that.

Well look at what a rugby player wears and compare that with an American footballer. ?

Like most people, I don’t wear protection, other than boots, helmet and gloves. A don’t-fall-on-rocks device seems a handy idea, along with don’t-fall-in-the-mud, don’t-fall-on-tree-stumps and don’t-fall-in-a-stream devices. Actually I’m working on a universal don’t-fall-off device at the moment, but it does seem to need quite a lot more development! ?

On 2/8/2021 at 9:52 PM, mcman56 said:

I'm in the US.  Your response implies that knee guards are not worn in the UK.  Do your bikes come with some kind of "don't fall in the rocks" option?  I could really use an option like that.

We prefer to hurt ourselves before wearing protection ?  I have plastic guards that cover knees and shins down to boots, probably wouldn't ride if I forgot them.

• Like 3