Evo 125 mods/exhaust issue

Andy16

Hi guys. Rolling two questions into one here.

We have a 2010 evo 125. We had it cheap but with lots of issues. The motor is currently out to be rebuilt, we will be keeping this bike for a long time so don't mind spending the money on it, as there's 3 of us in the house who can use it. One issue how loud it is. The last owner said he removed the exhaust and poured petrol into the pipes and set fire to it, to burn the oil off, and then repacked the silencer but it was still loud. We have coped with it for a while but it needs sorting now. On removing I realised (new to evos) there is more packing within the silencer that you need to cut the pipe open to get to. Im guessing he's burnt all this off, hence the noise. 

Now we also have a 2021 evo 125, this is my 12 year old daughters. She's a good rider but she finds the bike heavy. I have a couple of options here, I was wondering if you experienced guys could offer your opinion? 

1. get someone to cut open and repack the silencer on the 2010 bike

2. Buy a new oem silencer for the 2010 (best part of £400!) 

3. Buy a full arrow exhaust for the 2021 bike, fit that stock exhaust to the 2010. 

With the 2021, I would love to save weight. I'm letting her struggle on a bit now but come summer I had planned to put the bike on a diet by changing the wheels tyres and forks. Changing the pipe will be good to save some weight, but I cant find anyone who has any experience of an arrow pipe on a 125. I don't want to ruin the power for her, as it rides lovely for her at the moment (the bike stalls very easy, Im unsure if that's her clutch control or an issue with the bike but save that for another post) 

We have a 21 evo 250 in the household too. But im pretty sure nothing is interchangeable on that one with the 125's.

Also, my God aren't gen Beta parts expensive! I've been looking at OEM pistons rods and bearings. Im from an enduro background and always ran KTM's and people used to moan parts were expensive with them. £250 for an evo 125 rod! £170 for a piston and £35 for a small end. 

Edited by Andy16

6 minutes ago, Andy16 said:

Hi guys. Rolling two questions into one here.

We have a 2010 evo 125. We had it cheap but with lots of issues. The motor is currently out to be rebuilt, we will be keeping this bike for a long time so don't mind spending the money on it, as there's 3 of us in the house who can use it. One issue how loud it is. The last owner said he removed the exhaust and poured petrol into the pipes and set fire to it, to burn the oil off, and then repacked the silencer but it was still loud. We have coped with it for a while but it needs sorting now. On removing I realised (new to evos) there is more packing within the silencer that you need to cut the pipe open to get to. Im guessing he's burnt all this off, hence the noise. 

Now we also have a 2021 evo 125, this is my 12 year old daughters. She's a good rider but she finds the bike heavy. I have a couple of options here, I was wondering if you experienced guys could offer your opinion? 

1. get someone to cut open and repack the silencer on the 2010 bike

2. Buy a new oem silencer for the 2010 (best part of £400!) 

3. Buy a full arrow exhaust for the 2021 bike, fit that stock exhaust to the 2010. 

With the 2021, I would love to save weight. I'm letting her struggle on a bit now but come summer I had planned to put the bike on a diet by changing the wheels tyres and forks. Changing the pipe will be good to save some weight, but I cant find anyone who has any experience of an arrow pipe on a 125. I don't want to ruin the power for her, as it rides lovely for her at the moment (the bike stalls very easy, Im unsure if that's her clutch control or an issue with the bike but save that for another post) 

We have a 21 evo 250 in the household too. But im pretty sure nothing is interchangeable on that one with the 125's.

Also, my God aren't gen Beta parts expensive! I've been looking at OEM pistons rods and bearings. Im from an enduro background and always ran KTM's and people used to moan parts were expensive with them. £250 for an evo 125 rod! £170 for a piston and £35 for a small end. 

For the 2021 125 cc  bike by the time youve replaced the wheels    .exhaust system , etc   the cost would possibly be more than trading it for a factory model 125cc 2021,which has mag cranckases   and titanium exhaust as standard,, also michelin x lite tyres i think, Maybe worth getting the specs of each bike before you spend any money. The upside of replacing wheels and exhaust is you then have two of each  ,, good luck  ,

Thankyou for the reply.

Yes it's driving me mad. The young lady who rides the newer bike has spent her riding days on OSET's, with just a short spell on an 80 BW as she has grown so tall. She's 5.5ft but about 6 stone. Weak as a twig. I was warned away from the factory as apparently they are more of a handful. I was told this by a few people and with no experience myself I took their advice. I got rid of my 4rt and had the same bike as her (albeit a 250) for ease of swapping parts etc. In an ideal world, we could sell the 2010 and my wife could then go onto the newer 125, and then get a factory for my daughter. Musical bikes! And not cheap. Besides most of the 2010 bikes motor is sat on my work bench! Food for thought though, thankyou