More paperwork?

micm

The ACU has just issued a detailed briefing on the Carnet System for importing and re exporting goods into and out of the EU, now that the UK has declined ongoing membership of that particular club. The Carnet system is quite a faff for the amateur and I know the music industry is up in arms about it. However on the Gov UK Customs/Revenue website it seems to say 'personal imports' of 'sporting goods,' giving a longish list which includes cars and motor bikes, will not be included. In that case would the whole Carnet documentation still be required. Or am I just an optimist? Of course this assumes the government will let us out again one day.  Does anyone know how this might work. Thanks

16 hours ago, micm said:

The ACU has just issued a detailed briefing on the Carnet System for importing and re exporting goods into and out of the EU, now that the UK has declined ongoing membership of that particular club. The Carnet system is quite a faff for the amateur and I know the music industry is up in arms about it. However on the Gov UK Customs/Revenue website it seems to say 'personal imports' of 'sporting goods,' giving a longish list which includes cars and motor bikes, will not be included. In that case would the whole Carnet documentation still be required. Or am I just an optimist? Of course this assumes the government will let us out again one day.  Does anyone know how this might work. Thanks

Have you got a link to the page referring to personal imports of sporting goods please. See the other thread on this topic for the price of a carnet....

Looking at that list it includes pushbikes.  Hmph.  I wonder if the customs people will start to get picky about taking a (pedal) bike over?  All those camper vans with a bike rack headed to the beach in France/Spain.  To quote the Beach Boys, its gonna be fun, fun, fun.  (I don't have a T-Bird and my dad is dead...)

Edit:  Just laughing about this in the office and the missus points out all the skiing people could get a shock too.

Edited by ChrisCH