New Carnet needed for riding a Trial in Europe

johnnyboxer

9 hours ago, micm said:

So if Scotland becomes independent and hooks up with the EU again, bang goes the Scottish Six Day Trial for most English, Welsh and Northern Irish riders, too much paperwork, so will it will be mostly the French, Spaniards etc instead?

IF  the process of - having a referendum - then negotiating a leaving UK deal - then negotiating a joining EU deal ,   is as slow and long winded as Brexit  was , then don't worry , we can all ride the SSDT for many more years 

On 2/13/2021 at 12:29 PM, ChrisCH said:

Sounds like a great trip.  I had intended to do the Sahara (trail bikes) for my 40th but gave up for a variety of reasons, but one thing that really put me off was all the paperwork and nonsense to take a vehicle through Egypt.  Some years later I discovered that Tunisia was a great deal easier and the better option (go via Italy) but by then too late for me and then there were the terrorist shootings and that put paid to that.

Maybe for my 70th/80th now, if the pandemic has ended.....

Just been chatting to my brother,he is living in Southern Portugal now, he does bikes too. He has done a couple of trips from there down into Morocco on his Honda Africa. There are plenty of ex-pats down there he knows who organise regular trips into North Africa,they know what you do and don't need etc. I'm going to send my DT250mx down to Portugal to use as my local trial bike. Just need to make a long range tank for it, 80 miles to empty isn't enough. Plenty of opportunities for trail riding on his doorstep,all legal and no hassle. 

• Like 1

Funnily enough me and my other half were talking about biking down to Morocco earlier today - we'd take Rieju Tangos, they have a 300km range if you're taking it easy :) But then we haven't even ridden the Pyrinees properly yet, so might be getting ahead of ourselves ... long distance trail riding opportunities are the norm all over the Iberian Peninsular!

12 hours ago, turbofurball said:

Funnily enough me and my other half were talking about biking down to Morocco earlier today - we'd take Rieju Tangos, they have a 300km range if you're taking it easy :) But then we haven't even ridden the Pyrinees properly yet, so might be getting ahead of ourselves ... long distance trail riding opportunities are the norm all over the Iberian Peninsular!

If only I had really done my research I would have "done" Spain for my 40th.  The romance of the sahara was a big pull, but there was a huge missed opportunity to have a great ride in a country that would have (at the time) required no paperwork or hassle.  I still want to tour the Picos de Europa - something that could be on a road bike and still a fantastic journey and experience.  So very much of Europe that is worth a visit - Romania has vast forests, brown bears and places you can lose yourself for a few days.  Looking back on it the Morocco trip idea was wrong at so many levels.  How many days can you ride a sand dune before you get to "done that" status?

On 2/13/2021 at 10:16 AM, micm said:

So if Scotland becomes independent and hooks up with the EU again, bang goes the Scottish Six Day Trial for most English, Welsh and Northern Irish riders, too much paperwork, so will it will be mostly the French, Spaniards etc instead?

You would most likely be correct. It is one of the anomalies that would arise if Scotland became an independent state and if it did subsequently get membership of the EU there would have to be border controls between Scotland and England, regardless of what the politicians are saying at the moment. Whether Scotland would be permitted to join the EU is another matter. I for one would not like to see all this happen.

7 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

How many days can you ride a sand dune before you get to "done that" status?

Morocco is very popular for practising round-the-world adventure riding, apparently there's enough variety in the desert that it's entertaining but you're out into the proper off-the-grid world too ... so it wasn't folly to want to do the trip!

Meanwhile ...