Bultaco sherpa 1974 fuel tanks.

Creepytheclutchmaster

Hi all I have a 1974 sherpa t fuel tank that has been cleaned out 3 time's, but after sitting with fresh fuel in it for 20mins or so I'm getting a yellowy brow colour liquid selling in the fuel pipe. I'm wondering if these old tanks can handle new age fuel or is it slowly desolving lol. I'm thinking about cutting the outer shroud of the tank off and using some other tank underneath to keep the original look. The original tank look like it fiberglass or something. Cheers 

3 hours ago, feetupfun said:

Yes it is a normal thing to use a metal tank under the top part of the old fibreglass tank.

Another option for old Spanish fibreglass fuel tanks is to line them with fuel resistant resin.

Do you know of a metal replacement tank that people use specifically for the bultaco sherpa or is it a case of just find some thing and make it fit. How do you go about lineing the inside of the tank with fuel resistant resin?, I assume just chuck it in swish it around loads and let it set??, what is the fuel resistant resin called cheers. 

26 minutes ago, Creepytheclutchmaster said:

Do you know of a metal replacement tank that people use specifically for the bultaco sherpa or is it a case of just find some thing and make it fit. How do you go about lineing the inside of the tank with fuel resistant resin?, I assume just chuck it in swish it around loads and let it set??, what is the fuel resistant resin called cheers. 

Yes have a look at Shedworks (UK) and In Motion (UK) websites and you'll see tanks they sell like this. Some people make their own. It's not hard because it doesn't have to be pretty.

There are different brands and types of resin liner but the one I use is a low viscosity (brushing) epoxy resin from a marine supplier. Yes it is applied by moving the tank around with the liquid flowing to cover all inner surfaces and the excess runs back out. It doesn't swish though. It's much slower than that, more like how warm honey flows. The preparation of the inside of the tank is extremely important for a successful job. If you want to buy a kit, a popular brand seems to be Caswells

Edited by feetupfun
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, feetupfun said:

Yes have a look at Shedworks (UK) and In Motion (UK) websites and you'll see tanks they sell like this. Some people make their own. It's not hard because it doesn't have to be pretty.

There are different brands and types of resin liner but the one I use is a low viscosity (brushing) epoxy resin from a marine supplier. Yes it is applied by moving the tank around with the liquid flowing to cover all inner surfaces and the excess runs back out. It doesn't swish though. It's much slower than that, more like how warm honey flows. The preparation of the inside of the tank is extremely important for a successful job. If you want to buy a kit, a popular brand seems to be Caswells

Cheers for the info il look in to the tank's. 

• Like 1