Footpeg mount 2017 (fix?)

mbeers6

Hello all, what are your opinions on how I should fix this issue? 2017 GG with around 400 hours and stock skid plate didn't protect base of footpeg mount so material was scraped off. Now I'm getting concerned as the hole for the footpeg bolt is dangerously close to the "edge" of the mount on both pegs. 

Another rider in our club said he could weld some "material" to the base to build the mount back up. I think that is the best option right now since I don't think GasGas sells a replacement footpeg mount. Your thoughts? 

File_002.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

File_000.jpeg

• Sad 1

I don't think your 4.8mm left would be an issue but it looks that your hole is sightly oval and that might be an issue that can make your footpegs pointing slightly downwards. Most people feel comfortable if they are horizontal or pointing very slightly upwards. The bolt you have seems to be full length threaded. Better if it is threaded only where it is needed, where the lock nut sits. 8.8 stength is enough for the footpeg bolts.

edit: spelling error

Edited by carl ekblom
  • Thanks 1

Yes repair if you are worried. Only you know your own level of acceptable risk.

If it was mine and depending on how much life is left in the rest of the bike I would either fit new peg mounts or let them wear down another few mm.

Pre-formed peg mounts are readily available and you could fit them a bit higher than original.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Carl and Feetup! Will look at getting correct length bolts (luckily my pegs aren't "drooping" yet) and also searched for pre formed peg mounts (see below). I try to take care of all my bikes (hence 400 hours on original engine) but do hope to get a new bike in next few years. 

Feetup...have you seen any peg mounts for sale which are specifically made for modern TXT? I found these on RYP which are meant to allow vintage trials bikes use modern pegs. The GasGas frame is rounded but I'm sure a fabricator could grind this product down to make it fit. Would like to avoid messing with welding the frame if I can. 

Capture.thumb.JPG.4c3f94722542f9538429cd151020bbbd.JPG

16 hours ago, mbeers6 said:

Thanks Carl and Feetup! Will look at getting correct length bolts (luckily my pegs aren't "drooping" yet) and also searched for pre formed peg mounts (see below). I try to take care of all my bikes (hence 400 hours on original engine) but do hope to get a new bike in next few years. 

Feetup...have you seen any peg mounts for sale which are specifically made for modern TXT? I found these on RYP which are meant to allow vintage trials bikes use modern pegs. The GasGas frame is rounded but I'm sure a fabricator could grind this product down to make it fit. Would like to avoid messing with welding the frame if I can. 

No I don't know of a special replacement footpeg mount made to exactly fit your frame.

What's wrong with doing weld repairs on the frame anyway? It's not unknown that trials bikes newer than yours have needed weld repairs