2020 Montesa 260rt

gazzaecowarrior

Hi there. I'm coming back to trials after a 6 year break. Cannot believe the cost of used bikes now. What happened?  I've had four stroke trials bikes before as well as two and am considering a new 2020 Montesa 260rt. Mainly due to the Honda 6.9% interest rate which would suit me.

It's £5999. Dealer says he will throw in registration and road tax. Delivery will be £20. Couple of questions.

1. If I wait a few months will Montesa release a 2021 version of this and any left over new 2020 bikes drop in price? I think the Honda 6.9% offer ends in may.

2. Shall I try and strike a better deal? I'm not part exchanging anything. I stupidly gave away all my bits with the last bike I sold. Should no haggle for accessories?

Any thoughts?

32 minutes ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

Given that you could have paid about four and a half thousand pounds for a Yamaha a quarter of a century ago you seem to be getting an adequately good deal

It's hardly worth waiting for the 2021 stickers, for that's all the likely difference.

Thanks for the response. Think you've missed my point though. I'm not interested in a 2021 model. I was wondering if when the 2021 model hits the market if there will be a few left over new 2020 bikes at a reduced rate? Back in 2012 I bought a new 2011 beta evo when the 2012 came out. Got it for £4000 instead of £4600.

I remember the days when Appleyards would have a job lot of the previous model and sell them at a knock-down price (my first 315 was just that - great service too).

I’ve been trying to see what might be coming up for Montesa as a 2021 model. I think with everything going on then suspect it’ll be 2022 which (to answer your question) would mean there won’t be a glut of 2020 models sitting on the shelf.

That said, I would def shop around. When I bought my 4RT new I got both a discount and registration although I was buying cash. Worth shopping around on finance too (or versus what you can get from the bank).

Good luck with the new bike.

I wouldn't hold out hope for a discounted past model. Honda did this for the 2018/19 300 as far as I could tell but now times are different.

I know that Honda have recently been throttling supply, to some extent (supply chain issues, I'm guessing) so dealers have found it hard to take bikes into stock and, where they have stock, they seem to move them pretty quickly. In a nutshell demand seems to roughly match supply.

I generally have a trade in so my focus is on getting the best price for the old bike and paying list. Discounted road registration is usual and maybe a few goodies at cost is probably as good as you will get in this market....

Good hunting

Reg

Hi Reg - do you usually get a decent trade-in price? I know the whole thing is relative versus new bike discount but at the same time selling privately can be ball ache. I’ve never done a trade-in so good to hear any positive feedback.

If you borrowed money from.say tesco loans you'd get a lower rate, with cash you then can get a deal, John Lee and sons are good people and if you call them.and are serious I think they'd look.after you. I got my 2020 Repsol from them, they'd look after you for kit if buying at the same time I'm sure

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 1:06 PM, 2stroke4stroke said:

Given that you could have paid about four and a half thousand pounds for a Yamaha a quarter of a century ago you seem to be getting an adequately good deal

Those 1990 Yams, are going up in price  again now too

Edited by johnnyboxer

Very strange this last year that bike sales, watercraft and recreational vehicles have been having record sales. It took a pandemic to get sales booming? It makes no sense whatever. Not much negotiating when they can`t get any replacement inventory.