Alloy spike nipples

Lee halsall

For many years I bought replacement aluminium Bultaco nipples from Bultaco parts people but I think that the remaining stocks of them have been used up by now. It seems a waste of the spokes not to reuse them because the stainless steel Bultaco spokes are/were very nice.

For my most recent Bultaco restorations, I gave up looking for aluminium nipples and bought new stainless steel spoke kits, which are quite economical nowadays.

• Like 1

If they are the same as on  my Ossa  MAR, then they are 3.5mm.

On my bike the stainless spokes on both wheels were perfect , but the Alloy nipples were corroded and nobody seems to sell nipples in the size required

I was reluctant to buy 2 x sets of stainless spokes { at £80 a wheel }

I managed to find somewhere that sold nickel plated brass nipples of the right dimensions at a reasonable price , with just a pilot hole.

then I got a 3.5mm thread tap and threaded all 72 nipples { yes this was tedious , but the money saved payed for some other parts }

I cant remember where I got the nipples , it may have even been a cycle place ?

• Like 1

My problem now is getting the alloy nipples off the spokes , managed to get three off ,the rest just break up leaving a big lump of alloy in the spoke hole . My nearest wheelbuilder tells me they are 8 gauge spokes and that only BMW have metric spokes . Think I’m going to just cut the spokes but it causes real  anguish to cut such nice spokes . 

Edited by Lee halsall
  • Like 1

It should get easier ,with each nipple you remove the other spokes should get looser ,

which might mean you can get more room to get some grips on them and crush them / turn them

I was lucky, on mine as they had all mostly turned to white powder - not much Aluminium left 

1 hour ago, lsv said:

Contact Paul at Sids Wheels, he'll sort it for you. Top notch wheel builder................

He doesn't have the thread for Bultaco spokes, I've spoken to him about it, he's done a few Bultaco wheels for me

10 hours ago, Lee halsall said:

My problem now is getting the alloy nipples off the spokes , managed to get three off ,the rest just break up leaving a big lump of alloy in the spoke hole . My nearest wheelbuilder tells me they are 8 gauge spokes and that only BMW have metric spokes . Think I’m going to just cut the spokes but it causes real  anguish to cut such nice spokes . 

Heat those nipples with a fine flame and they will fall apart. Any remnants of aluminium can be removed from the spokes by soaking the threaded end in a mild acid

On 3/4/2021 at 10:22 AM, feetupfun said:

For many years I bought replacement aluminium Bultaco nipples from Bultaco parts people but I think that the remaining stocks of them have been used up by now. It seems a waste of the spokes not to reuse them because the stainless steel Bultaco spokes are/were very nice.

For my most recent Bultaco restorations, I gave up looking for aluminium nipples and bought new stainless steel spoke kits, which are quite economical nowadays.

You can still get them, Stainless steel spokes and even with one buttend end and with aluminium nipples, Orlando Calonder in Buchs Switzerland is still manufacture them. He has made several batches of spokes and nipples zto my bikes , and of course with aluminium nipples and stainless steel spokes. You can save a good amount of weight with doing so and the properties of the aluminium and the stainless steel is flawless.

Here the rear wheel with super light CZ Duraluminium/Magnesium hub and Acront rim:ACtC-3cWdQkqo4gVYJr1wkYeiHJw8dSSC9Yhr3KW

The front wheel even lighter, also CZ and Acront:
ACtC-3fPiQuLbK9beIGt2aXxh2pSkvt9OK_Fi235

And too as we are in the Bultaco section, Orlando Carlonder stainless steel spokes and aluminium nipples mounted to Bultaco Sherpa 199b hubs:
8C0O2AMvvuMacbt4AKNzgpdl48ZxzNWqL7Tl8E7P

I never had an issue so far with his spokes and also in terms of corrosion the wheel are trouble free.

The website of Orlando: https://www.orlandocalondersa.com/product-Speichen und Felgen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, feetupfun said:

https://www.amazon.com.au/3-5mm-Metric-Right-Thread-0-6mm/dp/B07B4C9TH8

I haven't check the pitch of the Bultaco spokes yet but if they are 0.6mm then I'm thinking of getting some of these and some blank nipples

Measured the thread this afternoon and the spokes are .6 mm pitch . Managed to get all the nipples off too , took a couple of hours with blowlamp and penetrating oil . 

• Like 3