Alloy spike nipples

Lee halsall

3 hours ago, pschrauber said:

You can still get them, Stainless steel spokes and even with one buttend end and with aluminium nipples, Orlando Calonder in Buchs Switzerland is still manufacture them. He has made several batches of spokes and nipples zto my bikes , and of course with aluminium nipples and stainless steel spokes. You can save a good amount of weight with doing so and the properties of the aluminium and the stainless steel is flawless.

Here the rear wheel with super light CZ Duraluminium/Magnesium hub and Acront rim:ACtC-3cWdQkqo4gVYJr1wkYeiHJw8dSSC9Yhr3KW

The front wheel even lighter, also CZ and Acront:
ACtC-3fPiQuLbK9beIGt2aXxh2pSkvt9OK_Fi235

And too as we are in the Bultaco section, Orlando Carlonder stainless steel spokes and aluminium nipples mounted to Bultaco Sherpa 199b hubs:
8C0O2AMvvuMacbt4AKNzgpdl48ZxzNWqL7Tl8E7P

I never had an issue so far with his spokes and also in terms of corrosion the wheel are trouble free.

The website of Orlando: https://www.orlandocalondersa.com/product-Speichen und Felgen

Thanks , which nipple is the correct one ? No 14 ?

1 hour ago, Lee halsall said:

Thanks , which nipple is the correct one ? No 14 ?

The best way is to phone him up and tell him what you want, they can even reproduce spokes or only the nipples.

It is up to you what you want and they will manufacture them, easiest to avoid language barriers would be to sent them an old one so you will get a reproduction that will fit. 

In case of spokes and nipples I highly recommend to send templates. 

20 hours ago, pschrauber said:

You can still get them, Stainless steel spokes and even with one buttend end and with aluminium nipples, Orlando Calonder in Buchs Switzerland is still manufacture them. He has made several batches of spokes and nipples zto my bikes , and of course with aluminium nipples and stainless steel spokes. You can save a good amount of weight with doing so and the properties of the aluminium and the stainless steel is flawless.

Here the rear wheel with super light CZ Duraluminium/Magnesium hub and Acront rim:ACtC-3cWdQkqo4gVYJr1wkYeiHJw8dSSC9Yhr3KW

And too as we are in the Bultaco section, Orlando Carlonder stainless steel spokes and aluminium nipples mounted to Bultaco Sherpa 199b hubs:

I never had an issue so far with his spokes and also in terms of corrosion the wheel are trouble free.

The website of Orlando: https://www.orlandocalondersa.com/product-Speichen und Felgen

Are these the same as mine Patrik ? 😀

Edited by b40rt
Fecking spellchecker ....

Both are from Colander but the spokes to the CZ are one end buttened and straight in stainless steel while the spokes for the Bultaco are also one end buttened but bend. So completely different in geometry but the same in material. The rims are too from Colander, he is doing the holes and the punches too. 

I have been searching for blank nipples and I can’t find any manufacturer in UK .

Due to the brexit bolox buying from outside of UK won’t be cost effective and although my spokes are perfect , the cheapest option might be new imperial spokes and nipples ... unless anyone knows of a better way???

7 minutes ago, Lee halsall said:

I have been searching for blank nipples and I can’t find any manufacturer in UK .

Due to the brexit bolox buying from outside of UK won’t be cost effective and although my spokes are perfect , the cheapest option might be new imperial spokes and nipples ... unless anyone knows of a better way???

How much has brexit added to the cost ? 

20 hours ago, b40rt said:

How much has brexit added to the cost ? 

20% vat , plus import duty plus the post office wanting their cut for collecting the duty , usually £8 upwards . First thing you know when ordering from abroad is a note from the post office ransoming your parcel . 

Brexit is turning out great for you isn’t it?

Two weeks ago I shipped a €45 (£39.50) part out to the UK with €12 (£10.40) postage,

UK import was 12% on the above and then 20% VAT on that; so £39.50 + £10.40 + 12% = £55.88 + 20% = £67.06!

And to cap it off, somehow the UK & EU have made it the exporters responsibility to collect and then to pay the HMRC!

The additional work took me nearly 30mins!

I charge myself out at an hourly rate of €50 an hour, by rights I should have added at least €25 on for my time, and of course that would be added on before the import duty and VAT which would have brought the total to £100.66!!! for a £39.50 part!!! 

So, my simple conclusion is; I just won’t deal with the UK in future.  

The VAT is not new, we've always paid VAT on items bought from the EU. The way it's collected has changed and as you've said is now creating more work for the retailer. Import fees shouldn't apply to a purchase under  135.00 euros

UK couriers can also add their own handling fees

28 minutes ago, woody said:

The VAT is not new, we've always paid VAT on items bought from the EU. The way it's collected has changed and as you've said is now creating more work for the retailer. Import fees shouldn't apply to a purchase under  135.00 euros

UK couriers can also add their own handling fees

Interesting, Deutsche Post wouldn't accept it without 12% import being paid. I guess there is still an amount of confusion and until it settles down I just can't justify the time dealing with the UK I know a lot of EU company's are doing the same, it shouldn't cost us time which is ultimately money, to deal with another country taxes. 

You should not have been paying VAT the UK was included in the EU VAT Regime the UK like the EU only paid VAT on items from non EU states, Andorra, Switzerland, the Channel Islands, Norway, America etc.

Edited by Cemoto

We all pay VAT on purchases from within our own countries and buyers within the EU have always paid VAT when buying from other EU countries, it was collected by the retailer and paid to their government as it was their VAT. The price we've paid has always included tax. What's changed for the UK is that the VAT is now paid by the retailer to the UK to HMRC for purchases up to 135 euros. Anything over and the VAT is collected here, payable before you can collect your item (as it is with import duty on USA items for example) 

What's also happening now is that couriers are asking for the VAT when delivering and for the extra work they're adding their own fee, so the only additional cost is the handling fee, but the perception is we're paying more because we now pay VAT 'at the door' upon delivery. What we have to check is that we're not being double charged for VAT...

Without doubt it's put additional burden on EU sellers and I can see that some won't send items to the UK until it's sorted out - if it is...

1 hour ago, woody said:

We all pay VAT on purchases from within our own countries and buyers within the EU have always paid VAT when buying from other EU countries, it was collected by the retailer and paid to their government as it was their VAT. The price we've paid has always included tax. What's changed for the UK is that the VAT is now paid by the retailer to the UK to HMRC for purchases up to 135 euros. Anything over and the VAT is collected here, payable before you can collect your item (as it is with import duty on USA items for example) 

What's also happening now is that couriers are asking for the VAT when delivering and for the extra work they're adding their own fee, so the only additional cost is the handling fee, but the perception is we're paying more because we now pay VAT 'at the door' upon delivery. What we have to check is that we're not being double charged for VAT...

Without doubt it's put additional burden on EU sellers and I can see that some won't send items to the UK until it's sorted out - if it is...

I'm sorry I misunderstood you I thought you were saying you paid UK VAT on top previously.

You are correct there does seem to be a misconception that UK importers are being hard done by in paying VAT. Part of the 'paper work' I had to complete was assurances the product was leaving the EU and removing the German 19% VAT 

I've just had a part arrive from France which was under 135 euros and it all seems to have gone ok, no import duty charged and the price included tax (ie: VAT) so no demand for tax at delivery. Item was 47.70 plus 15.00 postage, total 62.70.  10.45 of that was the tax

I'm now waiting for a part from Spain which was 135 euros exactly so not sure if this should fall into the items up to 135 band. which means no import duty and tax charged by retailer, as I don't know if ''up to'' is inclusive of 135, so it could be under or over. However the postage is 30 euros so the total cost is 165.00.   What I also don't know is if the up to 135 scale applies to just the item cost or the total including postage. The item cost is 135, post is 30 and the total of 165 includes tax of 28.64 so I have paid the tax. I don't know if this is correct or not and I don't know if the retailer has just conducted the transaction adhering to the new rules or not...   I just have to wait and see what happens when it arrives....

For the parcel you sent there should have been no import duty and I don't understand why the post office charged you either as it should be collected here upon receipt I think

Edited by woody

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 2:51 PM, pschrauber said:

PSchrauber: Those lightweight CZ hubs. I think they ought to pre 65 legal everywhere. You know which CZ/Jawa model they came from?

Looking at the cost of importing the alloy nipples , it’s not cost effective. With vat and maybe unexpected demands for money by the UK post office , I can see a set of nipples costing £50 . I can get new spokes and nipples in imperial size from inmotion for £80 delivered . Just left with a set of m3.5 stainless spokes.

• Like 1