TY250 clutch basket.... Compatibility or repair

tomTY

So, I very very stupidly managed to knacker a ty250 twin shock clutch basket. Basically trying to lock it up to take the nut off, snapped a finger off the basket. Kicking myself so much over this stupid mistake, and also as the fingers look almost new, with no noticeable ridges ..... Regret selling my compressor and rattle gun.......

Anyway the bike is a Colin Appleyard special, so one of the last produced. We are looking for a basket for this model. I have got it in my head there are 3 variations of clutch used over the years for this bike.... Cannot find anything on ebay using `TY250 clutch` as the search that looks similar. ..>...... However, some photos of a DT250 basket look more promising, at least in terms of the basket, the gear riveted to the back looks perhaps a touch smaller, so may require some work to get the existing gear riveted on.

Do you guys know which might fit, and also has anyone had any experience having the finger welded back on at all please?  Also if anyone knows where we could get the spare part that would be handy :)

Its a little project started intended to show my lad a few bits and bobs..... and as it seems how not to do certain things! A couple youtube videos so far:

stripdown part 1

carb stripdown

Cheers

Edited by tomTY

Hello, in the past I have had a clutch basket welded to repair the same problem you have , BUT like any repair of this type success will depend on the skill of the welder & the material being welded , you have nothing to lose trying.

I have also owned a bike for many months with no Clutch issues , and only found the clutch basket broken after removing the clutch cover to change the kickstart oil seal.

There was one finger missing, but the clutch was working fine, and I expect the previous owner just took the cover off , removed the broken piece to eliminate the rattle it would have made and reassembled everything hoping it would work okay.

Not recommending you do this , but if its the only thing stopping you riding the bike, maybe you could try this and carry on looking for a basket in the mean time

You could try  - cmsnl.com for a new part , {if they have one they are rarely cheap} or just use their website to get a part number to google 

• Like 1

Took the basket to a local exotic metal TIG welder guy. He said it was a magnesium part which he could not weld... However I tried a vinegar test as suggested by a friend. With no reactions whatsoever, perhaps it is actually in fact aluminium.

Once I got (local garage rattled) the nut off. The boss could be removed, which revealed a casting number for the basket (498-16311). Whilst this basket seems to be used on a number of bikes, the gear on the back differs between models. Will have to see what turns up over the next few weeks. Not in any particular rush with the engine build. Started out just a crank seal job....... Primary side seal is completely shot, resulted in the extreme difficulty starting and low very low flat power.