Advice on TY / Majesty

wezzo

Hi. I’m looking at getting back into trials as soon as we are out of Lock down. I’m looking at TYs and wonted some advice;

- apart from the obvious what’s the differences between the 175 and 250s. I’m guessing the 250 is heavier and perhaps has a longer wheelbase but probably pulls better with greater torque? Any views on how they ride by comparison?
- what benefits do the Majesty modifications make and are these actually worth it for a club rider?

thanks

The 250 is 10kg heavier than the 175 because the 250 motor is 10kg heavier. The 250 feels light for a 93 kg bike which is a normal weight for a standard 250 twinshock.

They didn't sell so many Yamahas by accident.

They were designed to appeal to Clubman riders and they still do.

The 250 is 16 HP and the 175 is 12 HP. They both pull well and in proportion to their capacity. They both have a ridiculously wide useful RPM range.

The 250 is a short wheelbase and the 175 is an extremely short wheelbase.

All mods are entirely personal preference. Both are very good to ride stone stock.

Many people lengthen the 175 to get a light full-sized bike.

Unless you particularly want/need a Majesty or Yam twinshock, a Yamaha TY250 Mono and Pinky may be a better choice

The Monoshock TY250 is lighter/more power and there are classes suitable at most local trials and the National Kia/Normandale series now for aircooled Mono bikes

The MAJESTY bikes are "tuned" twinshock Yamaha TY, I have a 125cc TY from 1979 that I rode in the eighties a bit just in the forest and gravel roads, then I put it away. I do like the bike in general but heavy and underpowered,
I dislike the flexy fork of the 125/175cc model.

The MAJESTY 175 came too as a 200cc and that is what I did, bought a TY 175 cylinder and head, did a rebore with w bigger cylinder, mounted the big 250 reed cage to the cylinder ( needs some work),
also did some porting and made my own much bigger exhaust, too a bigger air box for better breathing and a new rear silencer and the bike runs great. I first mounted a 26mm carb but that was too much
power! (I was really impressed by the power) thus I now have again put the 22mm Mikuni with 125cc specs on, I will replace the metal reeds of the 250cc against dual stage ones which will improve low
and mid end in terms of engine strength, you can't have too little torque!

The frame is nice but be careful not everything fits, our technical traffic board did not like the MAJESTY frame and had serious issues with the upper rear shock mount and the light steering steem.

The rear swing arm is lengthened, too the side stand, the front has now the fork of the 250cc mono mounted with is much better and as heavy / light as the tiny 32mm fork.

I like the bike very much and would suggest that model.

• Like 1

I got a TY175 that was stock and hated it.  Then I just threw money at it until it felt a little bit like a modern trials bike.  And it still wants more money spending on it, and it's still about 15kg heavier than a modern bike, lol.

My advice if you want a twinshock would be to just get a Fantic 200 or 240 and keep it stock.  However technology has really improved trials bikes and newish ones can be got for cheap and will give a nicer riding experience even if they're not as nice to look at ... depends what you want from the experience TBH.

Thanks for the posts. I’m defo after a twinshock as my local club has events almost every weekend and some midweek as well. I’m a Yamaha man so that’s my preference but like things like SWM and the Seeley Honda. Not really thought about a Fantic although there was a lot of them at my last trial. I had an OSSA Mar but found it a bit of a lump, but great to ride. I’ll keep my eye open thanks

• Like 2

The reason for recommending the Fantic is because it's one of the best performing twinshocks when bone stock, the 200 is a good beginner machine and the 240 has lots of grunt for it's size.  Being a Yamaha fan is why I got my TY (my favourite bike as a teenager was my DT100), and a fully upped TY175 is a very competitive machine ... don't get me wrong, I *love* my TY but it's cost me about 3 times what I thought it would so far and there's about another grand and a half it needs to be 100% fettled (though that includes all the work to get it road registered here, which is substantial for an old 2-stroke).

11 hours ago, wezzo said:

Thanks for the posts. I’m defo after a twinshock as my local club has events almost every weekend and some midweek as well. I’m a Yamaha man so that’s my preference but like things like SWM and the Seeley Honda. Not really thought about a Fantic although there was a lot of them at my last trial. I had an OSSA Mar but found it a bit of a lump, but great to ride. I’ll keep my eye open thanks

If you like SWM get a 125cc or a 200cc Gori and problem solved. 

If you go the big cc route then another money pit is opened.

You can't get all choosing a Twinshock means you got limitations and you have to live with them.

I have now a 1953 Ardie as a trials with even more limitations and love them.

I will add my thoughts.. I have a very special Bultaco and a very nice Swm, but due to problems with both,  was forced to ride my stock Yamaha 250 434 in a two classic a year or so back... Only mod is the footrests.. Same old shocks,  knackered old tyres... even the orginal lights still on.. It was a revelation, so easy to ride, again.... so easy to ride, so soft and tractable, stable, lovely steering. I had a superb weekend. So yes Fantic's are great, so are tricked to death Bultacos and SWM's , but as an all rounder for someone looking to get back into trials it is an ideal mount and they are still incredibly good value.  I would look no further certainly if you are a Yamaha fan.

• Like 1