Oset 16 with Milwaukee batteries and other upgrades

new plastic front and rear fenders.

rear fender mounting required some modification of fender, also heating up and changing angle of plastic mounting tab.   and drilling new hole on a bikes mounting bracket where rear shock is mounted. 

IMG_8358.JPG

IMG_8357.jpg

Rear shock was replaced last summer. It was already discussed here.   
Run time is unknown yet.  Will  update as soon as I have more data.  Need to fix few more things. 
quality of these bikes is horrible so many things got replaced so far. 2 sets of lead batteries, motor, both sprockets, rear shock, 2 of original throttles, ignition switch failed and was bypassed. 
need to do: throttle one more time, front fork, all brake calipers, will get hydraulic brakes. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, the last thing I would say about OSET is they are poor quality.  Judging from your decals and lack of hydraulic brakes, you must be running a pre-2013 model?  You definitely cannot expect SLA batteries to last more than a couple years, unless you're keeping them topped up which every lead acid batt requires.  OSET stock batteries are Yuasa's, Japanese brand. I dont think there's better SLA's out there.  Heavy, yup. That part sucks but nature of the beast on SLA's.

My kid's 16R is a 2016 and forks and shocks are good enough. Sure, brakes aren't top of the line HOPE or Shimano's, but are quite decent vs mechanical crap.  I do wish the rotors were 140mm solid metal rather than 160mm light duty bicycle, but they are cheap enough to find online. No rotor guards on this year so I've replaced about 5 now over 3 years.  OSET could put front _and_ rear disc guards on all bikes, not just front like on 20R and 24R's.

How are you smashing so many throttle tubes? Throw on some 7/8's bar ends.  $10 and yet to wreck a throttle tube here. And that bike has hit trees, been dropped down rock faces and is still 100%.

Batt wise, I go 8x 5000mah 18.5v nominal, in 2S4P, so 20Ah.  We get about 6km in 2.5 hrs on mixed hard/smooth single track and quit once the pack is down to 38V which is around 19V per pack.  Balance (safe) charging is a bit of a PITA, but managable, just time consuming.  I might start experimenting with a 36v (42v) bulk charger (no BMS, charge in a steel box) and see how far out of balance they get on each cycle then balance after a few charges.  RC guys believe LiPo's are quite durable as long as you don't drain them down.  They'll turn puffy soon as you do.

• 2 months later...