Help needed- TY250 A Dipstick question

Tillerman6

Can somebody with an original TY 250 A tell me what the stock length of the dipstick is?  I'm getting 133

mm for just the metal rod below the plastic handle????  The part number on CMSNL is 3221536300, but on there it looks like a plastic one.  - I want to make sure I have the right quantity of gearbox oil in there.  Thanks for your help!

Edited by Tillerman6
correction of my mistakes

7 hours ago, feetupfun said:

Photos for Tillerman6

20210311_181624.jpg

20210311_181711_HDR.jpg

feetup fun- that's great stuff- I have the same one and the same measurement 133 mm.  Next question- how can anyone get a full 1 liter of oil to stay below the upper fill mark on this dip stick?  I can only get .4 liters in and even that much will touch or exceed the upper fill mark when the engine is cold.  I can't believe that warming the engine would make another .6 liters get absorbed??  

feetup fun- that's great stuff- I have the same one and the same measurement 133 mm.  Next question- how can anyone get a full 1 liter of oil to stay below the upper fill mark on this dip stick?  I can only get .4 liters in and even that much will touch or exceed the upper fill mark when the engine is cold.  I can't believe that warming the engine would make another .6 liters get absorbed??  

12 hours ago, Tillerman6 said:

There are a few possibilities for what you are seeing:

1 Not all the old oil was drained out.

2 The bike was not level when the dip was taken.

3 Not enough time was allowed for the oil to flow out of the primary casing and into the gearbox before the dip was taken.

4 There is a problem with the oil flow path between the clutch casing and the gearbox (maybe gasket covering the passage).

37 minutes ago, feetupfun said:

There are a few possibilities for what you are seeing:

1 Not all the old oil was drained out.

2 The bike was not level when the dip was taken.

3 Not enough time was allowed for the oil to flow out of the primary casing and into the gearbox before the dip was taken.

4 There is a problem with the oil flow path between the clutch casing and the gearbox (maybe gasket covering the passage).

Those are possibilities I hadn't thought of especially #4- all the gaskets were replaced when the crank was overhauled.

#3- I could try filling it again and see how long (or if) it ever does absorb a full liter down to the top mark on the dip stick. I had been testing the amount of clutch drag for maybe 20 minutes before I checked the dip stick and found it to be over filled by about 2".  

I will start over tomorrow and fill it again with 1 liter- it should level out in say 10 minutes or less- never noticed this problem before.

If it fails to level in 10 minutes I will pull off the clutch cover and see if I can see any reason why the oil would get trapped in the clutch area.

#2 the kick stand is on the left side away from the dip stick so the oil would drain away from the dip stick and show less than it really has- so that is probably not the culprit.

#1- Anything can happen by accident - I did over fill it once because new oil is so transparent on the dipstick, but when I started using ATF, it's red, so there is no mistaking the level that it makes visible on the dip stick.

Feetupfun and Guy,

Starting from a drained crank case- this morning I put in exactly 1 Liter of ATF as a test.  As of 3:30 this afternoon, the dipstick is still showing about an inch of over fill.  I tried leaning the bike over to the left side about 30 degrees for 30 minutes , and this seemed to drop the overfill condition so that it came down from about a 1.5" overfill to about a 1" overfill, but never did settle more than that.- 

Tommorow I will pull off the clutch cover and see if I can figure out why the oil is not being distributed enough to use up the 1 liter quantity.

It would help if someone else did the same test- drain and fill 1 liter and see what the dipstick shows for a quantity????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tillerman6 said:

Feetupfun and Guy,

Starting from a drained crank case- this morning I put in exactly 1 Liter of ATF as a test.  As of 3:30 this afternoon, the dipstick is still showing about an inch of over fill.  I tried leaning the bike over to the left side about 30 degrees for 30 minutes , and this seemed to drop the overfill condition so that it came down from about a 1.5" overfill to about a 1" overfill, but never did settle more than that.- 

Tommorow I will pull off the clutch cover and see if I can figure out why the oil is not being distributed enough to use up the 1 liter quantity.

It would help if someone else did the same test- drain and fill 1 liter and see what the dipstick shows for a quantity????

Here is where 1000 ml comes up to on my A model. I put masking tape on the dipstick so the oil would be visible in the photo. The oil level is 12mm from the end of the dipstick. I dipped it without screwing it in.

20210313_170103.jpg

1 hour ago, guy53 said:

1) How do you drain the transmission?

2) I can check the level seconds after I refill.

Guy

There is a drain plug underneath the engine case uses a 13mm wrench to loosen- it will be near the centerline and have a gasket under the rim of it.

6 hours ago, feetupfun said:

Here is where 1000 ml comes up to on my A model. I put masking tape on the dipstick so the oil would be visible in the photo. The oil level is 12mm from the end of the dipstick. I dipped it without screwing it in.

20210313_170103.jpg

Feetup fun- I will check the level again this morning, but if it is still high I will be pulling off the clutch cover and have a look-  Just going off of faint memories- I think I used to be able to take on a liter with no issues before the engine overhaul.  I checked the top case vent to see if it was clogged - not clogged.  What do you suppose it is?