EM Pure Race first oil change looks nasty

dakh

Lots of metal flake in the oil and magnetic drain plug got a ball of the stuff on it, never seen anything that intense.  Anyone done first oil change yet and had it look better?

PXL_20210311_035818252.jpg

PXL_20210311_040428966.jpg

Edited by dakh
  • Sad 1

Ouch, that looks nasty. I'm guessing it's just the lighting that makes it look like brass (unless someone has invented magnetic brass 😀 ).

Presumably the oil is lubricating the clutch and whatever reduction gears link the motor to the drive sprocket. As you're not clonking gears in and out I would expect negligible swarf, much less than a conventional gearbox.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I've just picked up a used Epure Race and just done a precautionary oil change, my plug looked very similar.

Not sure exactly how much the bike has done with the previous owner, but based on condition and what the dealer told me, I'd say it's less than 10 hours.

I'd like to think that there wont be as much on the plug at the next change.

2 hours ago, CReamflourish said:

I've just picked up a used Epure Race and just done a precautionary oil change, my plug looked very similar.

Not sure exactly how much the bike has done with the previous owner, but based on condition and what the dealer told me, I'd say it's less than 10 hours.

Mine didn't get better with the second change and then the clutch started slipping, I'm guessing from the metal shavings getting into it. I took it back to the dealer and they weren't able to make any progress on it for 6 months. I gave up and I'm getting an electric KTM freeride.. Not the same thing but I expect better manufacturer support than this POS.

Edited by dakh

On 10/1/2021 at 7:27 PM, CReamflourish said:

After my previous post, I bought a secondhand ePure Race too. In light of this thread I changed the oil as soon as I got it. There was only a tiny bit of fur on the drain plug.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I'd thought I'd add my findings since it was a concern of mine when I purchased my 2022 Epure race.  I've changed the clutch oil twice now, and there wasn't much debris on the drain magnet for me,  It looked normal and comparable oil changes on other bikes I've done.

• 1 month later...

On 10/24/2022 at 4:42 PM, PNWer said:

Are you all running the recommended Nils oil or anything else?

Putoline Nanotech in my case. I used it on my Beta to get the best clutch behaviour I could and just carried it over. It’s probably unnecessary as I don’t use the clutch on the EM so it only has to lubricate the primary gear and a couple of bearings.

• 9 months later...
On 10/24/2022 at 11:42 AM, PNWer said:

Are you all running the recommended Nils oil or anything else?

Sorry for the late reply.  I don't get notifications.  I couldn't find Nils in Canada, so I used MAXIMA MTL TRANSMISSION LUBE.

However, there seemed to be too much clutch drag when I switched to using tikover mode. I hardly used the clutch till then.  So I ordered Nils from the USA to see if it helped with the drag.  The drag was about the same with Nils.  After warming up, drag was less.  Since then, I don't notice the drag, it could be less than before.  I now think it's normal for all bikes.  

I've changed the clutch oil a number of times now, and not much at all on the drain plug.