Very sharp edges on Gasgas Airbox

dhrcprice

Hi, I've just bought a new 2021 Gasgas txt racing.  When I got it home I rode it around in my driveway for 2 or 3 minutes just to get a feel for the bike.  A while after riding it I noticed that I had bruises on both calf muscles.  These were caused by the very sharp edges on the side of the airbox.  Admittedly, I did ride the bike with casual low cut boots on, so I guess it's my fault.  My concern is that even with my trials boots on this is still going to be a problem if I'm riding it for 2 or 3 hours.  I had a 2018 TRS before this bike and didn't really notice this being a problem even without boots on.

Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to improve things?  I really does seem like a bad design, but as I understand it, the airbox has had the same design for at least 10 years now, so I guess most people don't find this a problem??

Edited by dhrcprice

it's a special design feature to remind the rider to keep their knees out................... ;)

I don't know if the 2021 and the 2015 have the same exact design for the air box, but I have no issue with it causing any bruising or discomfort.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am at a trials camping at the moment. I have a friend that just bought one and is here. I am assuming the box is now made in China as KTM is big on that.

Of course he is the only rider in our club that has had covid. I have never seen him without a mask, even while driving his truck. He did catch it at his work.

I will let you know what I find.

Edited by lineaway

Bit of an update.  I've now had chance to take the bike out for the first time (now that Lock-down has been lifted) for a good 4 hour session and I'm happy to say that with my trials boots on I've had no problems with the sharp edge hurting my legs.  I guess I was worrying about nothing.  Really happy with the bike.  My only slight issue that I have with it is that it doesn't start first or second kick like my TRS did.  This seems to be the case if the bike is hot or cold.  It takes a good 4 to 8 kicks before it will start.  Hopefully this will improve over time?

Edited by dhrcprice

I rode my 2012 yesterday for maybe 20 mins without boots, similar results, much better with boots. 

As for starting... I've had the bike for a year knowing that the bike starts great in gear with the roll back method... I have been skeptical and start it in neutral till now. Bike starts better in gear unlike any other bike I have ever owned? I should listen better!