Sherco 290 leaking coolant from somewhere.

Alfreedoe

Leaking lots of coolant from somewhere when engine gets hot. Not from rad cap but somewhere near fan . It pours out until you stop engine. Fan working ok. Could it be radiator leak when it gets hot or something a lot more serious.  Can't find where its coming from .

Hoses seem ok . Don't think it's an expansion tank just the rad.  I was out on it for about 20 mins before it happened. This is second time. First time thought the thermostat was problem cos when I took tank off it was out of its housing. May have dislodged it removing tank. Cable tie holding it in place now. New rad cap fitted. It lasted a lot longer this time, thought it was cured. Could it be as simple as pump not working and rad getting too hot and overpressured , finding a weak spot somewhere? Just can't see where is leaks from. Runs fine no leaks gets hot and seams to pour out.

1 hour ago, wobblenorbed said:

Overspill from over filling the radiator maybe? 

Don't think so  it only happens when hot , theres a lot of coolant spewing out from somwhere  it stops when engine is killed. it's not coming out of the rad cap either . I m thinking it might be rad leak behind the fan, that opens up when hot

10 hours ago, Alfreedoe said:

Don't think so  it only happens when hot , theres a lot of coolant spewing out from somwhere  it stops when engine is killed. it's not coming out of the rad cap either . I m thinking it might be rad leak behind the fan, that opens up when hot

Best pull it and have a look then!  Even if it's not that you may find the cause ...

13 hours ago, Alfreedoe said:

If you overfill the radiator the fluid cap expand when hot and “overspill” past the rad cap and down the overspill tube. 

Found a split in a hose just above the clip on the cylinder head. Trouble is I can't seem to find a replacement. Splat don't have a 2002 sherco hose just up to 2000 and then from 2006. Does anyone know if either of these will do. I suppose I could cut one to length 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar type leak... turned out to be the radiator, the fan plastic housing had rubbed through the water channels at the bottom of the radiator, causing some small pinholes.

I have just repaired it with some JB weld chemical metal, and will put it back together soon... hopefully it should be OK

Mat