Which bike ??

GaryGriff89

Hi guys , I'm looking to dipping my toes into trials ..

I've always had Mx/Enduro bikes , currently got a TM racing en 250 , but never owned a trials bike before ..

I'm only looking to spend around £2000 , for that price what bike would you guys recommend ? Are there any bikes that are noticeably better or worse than the rest ? Any input will be very much appreciated :)

Assuming you want a modern bike, at that price condition is more important than make. Avoid anything that’s cheap because it’s in need of tlc, you could spend too much money and time on it. Obviously they will all have marks on them but check engine noises, brakes wheel bearings etc. I’d suggest a bike you can view rather than something off eBay that could turn out to be a pig.

As first bike don’t go above a 250, more than enough for trials, certainly initially. Older bike but a good montesa 315 could be a good bike, very reliable and hold their value now

23 minutes ago, timdog said:

Assuming you want a modern bike, at that price condition is more important than make. Avoid anything that’s cheap because it’s in need of tlc, you could spend too much money and time on it. Obviously they will all have marks on them but check engine noises, brakes wheel bearings etc. I’d suggest a bike you can view rather than something off eBay that could turn out to be a pig.

As first bike don’t go above a 250, more than enough for trials, certainly initially. Older bike but a good montesa 315 could be a good bike, very reliable and hold their value now

Hi thanks for the reply .. I've seen a few bikes around the 2004 model for this price range, are these older bikes still pretty capable for a beginner ? Also what's the deal with getting parts for the older gassers now Ktm have taken over ?

2004 bikes still more than capable, if you get one in good overall condition it should serve you well. Can’t comment re spares for gasgas personally. At that age I would suggest beta if you can find good one

Can't go wrong with a 315 . Its almost a classic.  If you get a nice one, then you should get back what you paid for it. It will do all you want of it at beginner level. Got a bit of a cult following & Honda build quality. For more modern stuff around £2k.  Beta a good bet, then GG 2nd. Don't discount an early Montesa 4rt, as they are high quality bikes & a pleasure to ride. They can be smartened up nicely, as plastics, etc, are very affordable Expect to pay a bit more for one of these though.

Condition depends entirely on previous owners. Avoid leftfield makes, as they went by the wayside for good reason & you could be needing spares which are no longer available.

Pretty much everything made after 2000 is going to perform well if it's in good condition.  250s are generally pretty chilled but don't discount a 125 or 200 for getting started - trials riding is completely different to enduro.  Absolutely avoid starting on more than a 250.

The important bits for the major makes (Montesa, Gasgas, Sherco, Beta) are available, and any of them in good condition can last well if treated right and will retain their resale value.

Consider asking at your local trials club if anyone has a bike for sale, that's a good way to get a bargain and/or a known-good bike sometimes.

I’d pretty much agree with all of the above. 
250 is definitely big enough, don’t be tempted to go bigger. I’d have thought for 2 grand you should get a decent bike more like 2008 onwards. If you go beta you might find an evo (2stroke or four stroke), if you go gas gas look for post 2005 as they had an update that year with better forks. Look for a clean well serviced bike rather than one with fresh sticker kit, so check usual bearings chain & sprockets etc. Look out for odd bolts & rounded heads etc that give you a clue it’s been worked on by a less than competent person.

Good luck & enjoy, it’s a completely different game from enduro and more skilful than you might imagine! Practice practice practice !

You’ll find a great bunch of people whatever bike you get and wherever you ride.

Don't think you can go wrong with a gaser. For around 2k you might be able to and a 2011 with the latest frame if your lucky. Things to check exhaust easily damaged on all gaser and if bent maybe a sign of a hard life, airbox top and rear linkage

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, Julio said:

En España hay varias Sherco 320 cc 4t. por menos de 2000€ y hablo de € no de £.Estan a buen precio.Incluso te saldria a buen precio pagando transporte.

Ja!  Solo las Sherco 4t con grande problemas para menos de 2000 circa de aqui ... y tambien es caro enviar una moto a reino unido ahora.  Gracias brexit.

13 hours ago, Julio said:

Las que hay en España estan seminuevas.

Sí, con problemas de motor normalmente 😅

En serio, en catalunya no hay ningun 4t motos de trial para menos de 3k en buen estado

Edited by turbofurball