TXT 300 flywheel install

Shady05

I'm pretty new to trials bikes in general and I'm rebuilding my 2006 TXT PRO 300. I noticed the flywheel has a weight installed and there's also a spacer under the flywheel cover. This wasn't sealing correctly so there was some mud and dirt built up inside. I've removed it and cleaned, etc but I want to try the bike with no flywheel weight. 

I had to drill the bolts off the weight as they were seized but got it off in the end (still have to finish drilling the threaded parts). The problem now is that the flywheel cover still catches the flywheel with no weight on (with the cover spacer removed as well obviously). Have I done something wrong here or why is there no clearance? 

The flywheel is not flush with the end of the crankshaft but I don't think it was when I removed it either. I tried with no key on the shaft and it's the same. 

IMG_20210318_210919.jpg

IMG_20210318_210715.jpg

I think the plastic mag cover  is very close to the flywheel as normal, i seem to remember when taking them off they had frequently rubbed a part groove into the inner face.

Leave it and let it wear down a bit!

obviously if its really grinding something is amiss, but i guess its fine.

Edited by imexian

23 hours ago, imexian said:

I think the plastic mag cover  is very close to the flywheel as normal, i seem to remember when taking them off they had frequently rubbed a part groove into the inner face.

Leave it and let it wear down a bit!

obviously if its really grinding something is amiss, but i guess its fine.

I don't think I'd be able to get the cover sealed properly if I leave it catching. I'll have another go, if I can't get it sorted I may have to get one of the gasket spacers for the weighted flywheels. 

The covers are all the same on all Pro models and there is next no clearance. so I'm not sure why you're hang trouble unless its distorted or something has been changed by a previous owner. 

I recommend you remove the threaded inserts. If they were to drop out they will destroy your electrics. 

It may be distorted as the spacer used for extra clearance when the flywheel weight is installed was also out of shape and letting water in. Hopefully when I bolt it all back together again it'll line up a bit better. The bag I put the cover bolts in has disappeared so I need to get new ones on order now.

Thanks for the tip on the inserts, they could leave a mess all right if they were to come out.

The bolts are just normal cap screws but if you have the spacer fitted they are slightly longer (5mm) than the standard ones for just the cover without the spacer.

My bike use to have flywheel weight and because the spacer makes the cover overhang the sump guard, it had been hit on rocks which bent one of the screws and distorted the crank case. So I had to gently reshape the crank casing it to stop it rubbing on the flywheel. I don't use the weight anymore.

If you need a smidge more of clearance, consider using a metal gasket between the engine and the flywheel cover; the later bikes used these thicker gaskets. The Splat Shop has them. The SS can also sell you a new flywheel cover for not much coin.