Rear wheel distances

DonMoto71

Hi,

just replaced the wobbly wheel bearings but the rear wheel of my 199 Sherpa is still not fixed properly when I fasten the wheelnut. 
Washer behind wheelnut touches the thicker part of the axle after the thread before the rear wheel is fully tightened.

Of course had I checked the parts book but I am still unsure if therr is something missing.

I have, beginning from the right.

Head of axle

washer

chain adjuster

wishbone

speedo drive

wheel bearing 

distance

wheel bearing 

drum brake hub

thick washer

wishbone

chain adjuster

thin washer (in diameter if thread)

Nut

Am I missing something?

Raoul

The thread on the spindle is a smaller diameter than the spindle shaft. If you remove the nut and washer and just eave the chain adjuster on, you will see that the spindle shaft extends past the adjuster. You need a washer that is the correct ID  to slip over the shaft itself not just the threads and the washer also needs to be thick enough that none of the shaft is exposed. If it isn't set up like this the nut will reach the end of the thread and tightens against the spindle shaft itself, not the swingarm

From your parts list it looks as though you have the thick washer on the wrong side

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, much better niw if course, but I am still unsure about the order and especially number if “things” in the course of the rear axle.

If someone could check out his rear axle (especially around the speedometer drive) it would still be highly appreciated 

Raoul

Raoul -

From your original post, it looks like you have a thick washer between the brake plate and swing arm ?

Brake plate should go up against swing arm lug - NO washer....

Thickness/width of speedo. drive (or spacer replacing it) should be 33mm.  - between wheel bearing and swing arm lug on r/h side.

HTH

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lorenzo,

thanks a lot, this helps with making a speedo replacement!

Washer has found to it's correct place already and I just found a sleeve which goes somewhere around the speed drive which obviously fell down and rolled away when I took the wheel off the bike...

I assume it will be perfect again when I fit that sleeve AND have everything in the right order 😄