Villiers & Mikuni

traf

I wonder if anyone has ever fitted a Mikuni VM22 to a Villiers 7E spec motor. I was prompted when my 3rd and last Villiers S24 Concentric showed hairline cracks. I had a VM22 handy and a hose to couple it up. I've long held that the 24mm size was fit for road work, but maybe overchoked for a trialer. The carb came from a GP100 so I'm awaiting suitable jets and filter. Anyway I'd like to hear any experienced views, thanks.

I've fitted a Mikuni carb to my Villiers 37A, to replace the Villiers S25 carb. Must be a 24 or 26mm - came off a mid'60's Yamaha YDS3 and it went in with a small amount of adapting, as well as just a slightly larger pilot jet and main jet. 
After years of messing around with difficult starting with the Villiers carb, the Mikuni gives starts from cold in 2-3 kicks, plus first kick hot starts, good idling and no dribbling.
Just a better carb.

IMG_3434.JPG

Not wanting to ruin anyone’s day but if you are riding in any form of competition then these carbs are not allowed on pre65 class bikes. ( I think, strangely that Tiger Cubs may have been given their own loophole on this but I don’t understand why ! )

5 hours ago, collyolly said:

Not wanting to ruin anyone’s day but if you are riding in any form of competition then these carbs are not allowed on pre65 class bikes. ( I think, strangely that Tiger Cubs may have been given their own loophole on this but I don’t understand why ! )

Which events are these then ? 

7 hours ago, collyolly said:

If you had taken the trouble to read the post before answering you would have seen that the person asking the question resides in France where the rules may differ from those your club may implement.

TRAF also said the original carb had cracked and that he had the Mikuni about and presumably like the rest of us wants to ride his bike again.

There has been precious few trials about for more than one year now yet as soon as there is the promise of at least a few to come you are whingeing.

I notice  that you ride an Ariel in Pre 65 events which no doubt is fitted with an AMAL Concentric carburettor these were not introduced until 1967. Amal (carburettor) - Wikipedia

Edited by trialsrfun
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, collyolly said:

I gave this some thought when doing the conversion but as as my bike is a '68 (post- '65 design), it wouldn't be eligible for pre - '65 anyway. Then, on a purely practical basis, the Yamaha YDS3 carb is, at latest, off a '67 bike so it's older than my bike

• Like 2

Trialsrfun, I see you have removed your blanket comment about pre unit riders, not that fair was it ?

I can only apologise if I have upset anyone with my earlier posting, it is just my understanding that certain mods are ‘accepted’ and some are not. Obviously as a predominantly U.K. supported web site ( or perhaps I am wrong about that as well - sorry) I am talking about trials here not in France, it was just a comment meant in a purely advisory manor to anyone taking an interest in this modification
I had a set of Bultaco 1964 triples fitted on my bike and changed to period British parts just to keep in the spirit of the game. Yes I have an Amal fitted but that was an accepted part long before I started riding one of these bikes.

Hi colycolly yes I  did amend my post but what I initially wrote was based on factual experience.

If ever there was a time to  get the sport of trials riding both classic and modern back providing pleasure to its competitors it right now. The  British bike section here on trials central has almost been killed off by whingers and moaners who constantly pick up on everything posted.

On 3/22/2021 at 7:52 PM, trialsrfun said:

If you had taken the trouble to read the post before answering you would have seen that the person asking the question resides in France where the rules may differ from those your club may implement.

TRAF also said the original carb had cracked and that he had the Mikuni about and presumably like the rest of us wants to ride his bike again.

There has been precious few trials about for more than one year now yet as soon as there is the promise of at least a few to come you are whingeing.

I notice  that you ride an Ariel in Pre 65 events which no doubt is fitted with an AMAL Concentric carburettor these were not introduced until 1967. Amal (carburettor) - Wikipedia

It always makes me laugh how Pre65 people can rewrite history for Amal concentric carbs ,

but wouldn't want to allow a genuine 1964 Mikuni carb to be used if you had one 

Always make me laugh when many Post 2020 parts  are overlooked, allowed, used and hidden,  but not carbs.. Not a whinger, more pragmatic.. Pre 65 are almost non existant now in France, and Spain for that matter,  nobody takes any notice or really cares what carb is on them.