Honda TL 125 1975

Mrploppy

Hi, I’ve just bought a Honda TL 125 1975 that looks good from a photo and at a distance but not so good close up!

i plan to make it road legal.

would appreciate a contact number of a company  or person who could do this for me. Thats getting a number plate and V5 etc as it has no papers.

i’m fitting a 150cc big bore kit soon, so can anyone recommend a suitable carburettor and appropriate jets? (Bearing in mind that it’s for on/off road use)

last thing is I’d really love an aluminium tank. I’ve seen photos of Honda tl 125’s with them but haven’t seen any for sale.

i know the 250 has an alloy tank. Does it fit?

any help gratefully appreciated.

1 hour ago, Mrploppy said:

Look good, I’ll give them a go.

thanks so much

Worth checking if it's already registered, DVLA have / had an off road registration service so your bikes on the system of it gets stolen. I used this on another bike and discovered it was already registered. I got the original number back for £25.

Hi MrP,  

I am pretty much doing the same thing, needed a lock down project, bought a 1976 TL125 that looked ok on the web and needed a little more doing than anticipated. But it has been great fun and kept my sanity through COVID.  Mine has the V5 and as it is not registered as historic yet I plan to try and get it through the MOT for the challenge!  I bought my particular one as the tank and side panels were 'straight', not much else was...   ;o)

Good luck with your project I will watch out for posts, we can probably share lessons learned through the process. 

Regards

Hi, 

the daytime MOT does seem to be a minefield, there is an excellent thread on being road legal somewhere on the forum and views definitely differ.  I spoke to my local MOT tester and they advised that no lights are required, or a speedometer to pass the test,  but a legal number plate and proper single tone horn are ( no bulb horns anymore... ).  However I am also informed that to be legal on the road a speedometer is required by the police.  Reading up on it a lot I can see the requirements to pass an MOT may be complimentary to being legal and compliant to being on the road.

Mine is going in next week so I will let you know how it goes, to be honest I am more concerned about the drum brakes, I had forgotten how not very good at stopping things they seem to be....

Regards 

2 hours ago, SynchromeshBoulevard said:

... I spoke to my local MOT tester and they advised that no lights are required, or a speedometer to pass the test,  but a legal number plate and proper single tone horn are ( no bulb horns anymore... ).  However I am also informed that to be legal on the road a speedometer is required by the police.  Reading up on it a lot I can see the requirements to pass an MOT may be complimentary to being legal and compliant to being on the road.

That is all correct according to my local MOT person as well.  Lights must work if fitted, but not a requirement.

Speak to people in the area with trials bikes and find a mot test station that understands trials bikes. Agree with everything above, also check wheel bearing have no play, spokes all tensioned, swinging arm no play, steering no play but adjusted to move with no resistance. You do not need a reflector, but stick one on. Tyres should be properly inflated (not trials pressures) no cracks or signs of deterioration, directional arrows should be correct orientation (or removed) 

• 3 weeks later...