No spark.

Stuckagain

'93 Beta Zero Gara. Now, bear in mind I'm otherwise a Yamaha puller-apart-er, but a Beta novice. Completely unfamiliar with Betas, and new to trials riding. I'm planning to pay-and-play with mine.

Was riding it round our field, running fine, stopped, left it for a few minutes and tried to re-start it. Nada. Checked and filled with fuel. Nope. Eventually skinned all my knuckles changing the plug. Kicked it over with plug resting on crankcase before putting it back: no spark.

What could the problem be? Coil? If so, anybody got a part number or know where I can get one in the UK or Europe? Otherwise what else could it be? 

And can anybody recommend a Beta fettler in the North West of England just in case?

Almost certainly the stator, Beta seems infamous for them, although in fairness they don’t last forever 

worth trying a coil from another bike to check spark or get yours tested but if no spark best bet is to send stator away for rewind. Not that expensive

, check out westcountry windings, Bradford ignitions or trialssport beta stator rewinding 

Seem to remember when I rang bradfords they gave me advice on what to check to confirm the stator was dead. Just a quick check with a multimeter confirmed in my case, but it was similar to yours, just a sudden total failure. Betas do seem prone to this fault and I was assured that rewound would be better than the original item.

Thanks guys. It seems I'm one of the few people on the planet who thinks Beta and then automatically thinks stator failure. Took it to my normal bike fixer and I didn't even get to the end of the sentence before he'd told me what it most likely was.

4 hours ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

It was the trigger coils on mine.

And, of course you can't buy the stator and trigger coil separately. An expensive way to buy a simple trigger coil, but at least you'll have a fresh stator out of it. 😉

On 3/25/2021 at 11:29 AM, Stuckagain said:

Thanks guys. It seems I'm one of the few people on the planet who thinks Beta and then automatically thinks stator failure. Took it to my normal bike fixer and I didn't even get to the end of the sentence before he'd told me what it most likely was.

So what was it?

Someone has already mentioned them, but Bradford ignitons are the people to speak to. https://uk-motoplat.com/

I was under the impression the Zero/Gara's ignition is a Motoplat system. There is no seperate CDi, half of it is in the stator and the other half is in the coil.

It also has a regulator that converts to DC to run the fan.