New 2020 Repsol

couling

I bit the bullet and purchased a new Montesa Repsol a few weeks ago, not been out on it yet due to the lock down but can't wait to get out there, I have been riding a Beta 250 Rev 3  2004 model for about 4 years, great bike but but fancied a 4 stroke ( Montesa), heard a lot of talk about reducing the front sprocket by one tooth, changing the exhaust system to make the engine breath better, not sure what that means or if the high price tag warrants  my fairly low skills, also the air filter, on my Beta I used Putoline air filter cleaner and oil, can I use this on the Montesa. Also the dealer has inserted a note in the owners manual, first service due in one month or 600 miles at a cost of £120.00 not sure what you get for this but I can change the oil and filter and check / adjust the valve clearances and as these bike only come with 6 months warranty, is it worth it, your thoughts / advice would be greatly appreciated.

51 minutes ago, couling said:

I bit the bullet and purchased a new Montesa Repsol a few weeks ago, not been out on it yet due to the lock down but can't wait to get out there, I have been riding a Beta 250 Rev 3  2004 model for about 4 years, great bike but but fancied a 4 stroke ( Montesa), heard a lot of talk about reducing the front sprocket by one tooth, changing the exhaust system to make the engine breath better, not sure what that means or if the high price tag warrants  my fairly low skills, also the air filter, on my Beta I used Putoline air filter cleaner and oil, can I use this on the Montesa. Also the dealer has inserted a note in the owners manual, first service due in one month or 600 miles at a cost of £120.00 not sure what you get for this but I can change the oil and filter and check / adjust the valve clearances and as these bike only come with 6 months warranty, is it worth it, your thoughts / advice would be greatly appreciated.

600 miles in the first month? That'll be a first on a Trials bike unless you're entering the cancelled SSDT in May

Front sprocket - I would leave it a 10t as going to a 9t can wear the swingarm slipper (did on mine) and just change the rear sprocket to give you more finesse on ratios (1 tooth on front sprocket is equivalent to 3-4 on rear) and I either run 10/42 or 10/44

Putoline is fine for air filter, as you have it already

Exhaust is fine, just get rid of any Cat (not sure if they fit one) and ask dealer if they have removed the restrictors

Thanks for the reply, no cat that I'm aware of, nothing in the manual about one or any restrictors, I'm assuming these would be in the exhaust, I'll take you advice about the front sprocket, that sounds like a good call.

Welcome to the world of 4RTs! You’ll love the build quality. Not sure where you bought the bike but definitely ignore the service note but keep to an obvious trials bike maintenance schedule yourself. The oil filter change is a pain but doesn’t actually need doing that often. And I wouldn’t jump to change sprockets - ride it first and see how you get on. Good luck - loads of answers on the Montesa section.

• Like 1