Help identify Alloy barrel

greevesman

Can anyone help identify this Alloy barrel which came with some Villiers engine parts ?,it fits Villiers 37A cases and is 66mm bore . I'm sure its a trials barrel not scrambles

IMG_20210325_143557788.jpg

IMG_20210325_143606387.jpg

IMG_20210325_143602245.jpg

IMG_20210325_164825792.jpg

IMG_20210325_164905139.jpg

Edited by greevesman
add information

Ask Steve at Villiers Services but if I were to make a guess it could be a Greeves Challenger barrel with the fins cut back or less likely a DMW Marcelle?

Can you post pictures of the head

The Challenger barrel came in trials or MX versions but dont really know if other than the carb manifold and a spacer between head and cylinderthere was really much difference 

Edited by trialsrfun

Unfortunately I dont have the head , it maybe a cut down Greeves Challenger barrel I have Challenger barrel on 2 of my bikes so will check against them tomorrow.

Simon

Edited by greevesman
Incorrect info

I've seen a barrel just like the one in the first photo today, in a museum in Hamilton NZ, on a DMW. I thought it looked like it had been home made, and didn't think it was a Marcelle, but perhaps it is. The fins are a lot thicker than the Challenger barrel, so I don't think it would be one of those.Shame that I didn't take a close look at the exhaust mounting. I will be back there in a couple of weeks and have another look. Bye, Peter B.

23 hours ago, peterb said:

I've seen a barrel just like the one in the first photo today, in a museum in Hamilton NZ, on a DMW. I thought it looked like it had been home made, and didn't think it was a Marcelle, but perhaps it is. The fins are a lot thicker than the Challenger barrel, so I don't think it would be one of those.Shame that I didn't take a close look at the exhaust mounting. I will be back there in a couple of weeks and have another look. Bye, Peter B.

Thanks Peter ,would be good to have photo if possible .

Simon

• 2 months later...

Had confirmation from Alan Garrett who help build bike and owned and rode the bike in the late 60s early 70s that it is a cut down Greeves Challenger ,I have managed to get Challenger head so will get cut down to match barrel.

The bike it comes from is a Burian built by John Banks BSA works rider in 1965 .

Will post photos of rebuild as it takes shape .

Second photo is of Alan Garrett riding in the early 70s

Simon

fullsizeoutput_3af4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3af9.jpeg

Edited by greevesman