Sticky Countershaft

199 Enduro

While turning the countershaft on my 199 by hand it stops turning once every revolution. If I turn it harder it will rotate. The transmission works as it should although the shifting is a bit notchy.

What is the cause the sticky countershaft?

I have fresh gear oil in trans. The 199 sat for 24 years while I was working heavy hours. I did ride it last year a few miles. I wonder if changing the fluid every two rides will fix the problem.

I would not want to damage the transmission by riding the bike.

4 hours ago, 199 Enduro said:

I have fresh gear oil in trans. The 199 sat for 24 years while I was working heavy hours. I did ride it last year a few miles. I wonder if changing the fluid every two rides will fix the problem.

I would not want to damage the transmission by riding the bike.

Does it behave the same in both directions? If you rotate it until it binds does it rotate freely the other direction then bind up again in the same spot every time? If you loosen the sprocket nut does it change? Is the shoulder on the sprocket on the inside? How did you come to notice this?

Yes, It rotates freely in both directions and binds in the same spot. I noticed this when I would roll the bike in neutral there would be momentary tension and then release on the chain.

I will pull the sprocket tomorrow and let you know about the sprocket nut and shoulder. 

I removed the sprocket and the problem still exists. There are shoulders on both sides of the sprocket.  To take off the sprocket I bent the washer straight and tapped the nut and the socket with the flat end of  a small ball peen hammer. To my surprise when I put  the socket and breaker bar on the nut it turned free with no effort. The chain wasn't even on. I was attempting to rock the sprocket back and forth at the bind hoping to loosen what ever is causing this problem. I am going to tighten the nut so I can rock the sprocket at the bind.